1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They'll have to come up with some kind of protocol for sanitizing balls.

Batman likes this.
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Or, theoretically, every pitch since the pitcher and and either the catcher or another fielder or two will touch it every time. And every new baseball has to change hands from catcher/ump to pitcher, so when does it become considered unsafe?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's 68 pages. It has as much chance to be approved as the 50-50 revenue split.

4. MileHigh

Nevermind that umpires had wiped them down beforehand. And ball boys touched them.

Batman likes this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

IMO the owners know damn well there isn't gonna be a season this year, because they don't want a season this year under these circumstances, and are just trying their damndest to make sure the players get blamed for it.

bigpern23 and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  6. MileHigh

Mostly agree. If they have to pay half salaries and are getting zero gate/concessions/parking, to them, just punt

tapintoamerica likes this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

These rules are like SEC states' literacy tests before that thing called the Voting Rights Act came into existence.
    The players should reject them and everybody should admit that it's not happening. I love baseball, but I wouldn't be terribly excited by a season that will be remembered exclusively for its outlier status in history. (At least we can hope that such a season will be perpetually regarded as an outlier.)

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Honestly, I would not blame the owners a bit if they just said "we think it's impossible to play this season, so we won't." But they have to try to see if they can strong arm the players because they're warming up for the CBA on the horizon. If I were Tony Clark, I'd tell the members of my union we should move first and announce WE don't think the season should be played because there's no way it can be safe. Of course the members may not feel that way, but that's the smart play.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Any season less than 162 (or less than 154 from 1961 back) is an outlier. The only concern is if someone bats .400. That will get an instant asterisk.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Restaurants are off-limits on the road!?! Where are they supposed to eat?

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

How are they supposed to hook up with their side pieces with all these restrictions in place?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Youve gotta be really crazy to carry on an affair now

Draft saved Draft deleted