1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Burrow still had to take at least nine hours of graduate courses each semester to stay eligible.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I miss baseball terribly - the rest of it can go to hell.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I think it's only six hours, but I could be wrong. And schools can tailor an individual graduate interdisciplinary studies program that is not difficult at all.

Not saying Burrow did this, he seems like a smart, motivated kid. But I'd say 90% of basketball/football grad transfers don't come anywhere close to completing their MA. Nor do they have any intention to. Especially football players. Stay eligible for one term, then adios.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

It's amazing to me how little I missed the NCAA tournament. It would have been cool to have Gonzaga playing "at home" at the NCAA regional site in Spokane, and to see if this year's team could have brought home the title.

But the heavily hyped/commercial-laden TV games? Haven't missed those one bit.

SFIND and BitterYoungMatador2 like this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Effing Dabo flew to Florida on vacation and is considering traveling for Easter during the pandemic. So, please, I hope his bubble bursts really damn soon.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I see the schedule of old games, and i get all fired up to watch.

Then i last five minutes watching.

Dont anyone ever tell me those 70s knicks teams were something. Jesus. Debussure and Bill Bradley, two dad bods, finishing the vaunted fast break. I watched the 1970 Game 7. No wonder basketball was a backwater sport back then.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Last night would have been the final Ducks home game of the season, vs. the Kings. Tonight would have been the last regular season game, at San Jose -- the regular-season enders for the whole NHL. We long ago knew they weren't going to be in the playoffs. But yes, I miss hockey.

misterbc and OscarMadison like this.
  8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That’s huge. It’s why the NBA halted everything on the first positive test.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  9. tapintoamerica

Both sessions?

10. tapintoamerica

Not stopped at the border or interrogated at the (probably private) airport at which he landed, I imagine. If he had rented a car with NY tags, on the other hand ....
    He’s only one step short of saying this thing is just a hoax conjured up to hurt his boy in the White House.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Let Dabo live his best life like none of this is happening. That will catch up to him soon enough. The crowd that's still jetting from place to place is ripe for it, see the Mar A Lago outbreak.

He gets no sympathy when it does.

One of my wife's best friends for the last twenty-five years died this morning. Not Covid related except for the part where we can't gather to grieve with her family. I assume the funeral will be immediate family only.

I found out this morning that an old friend of mine's mother is in a nursing home struggling to stay alive. She's on a vent with bad COPD already. She can't visit her mom, no visitors policy, and she knows that as soon as C-19 hits the home her mom is gone.

Not a good day. I really hurt today. And it hasn't even gotten started good yet.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I miss the rhythms more than anything. Working in the yard this weekend and having a baseball game on the radio, then coming in TV golf and a nap. I would really, really hate having a chill in the fall air without football. But missing sports so much that I'll watch a 20-year-old game in standard definition (TV snob, I know) -- that hasn't happened yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted