1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I've got a feeling that it's going to be a long time before we have to worry about that.

Inky_Wretch and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

There has been a lot of talk about how a proper FBS playoff would hurt the player's academics. I just point at the baseball schedules and snicker aloud at that one.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Models I've seen for Washington, California, Arizona, Colorado and Oregon show no deaths by the first week of June. New York shows no deaths by mid-May. Of course, they had governors who were proactive.

I'm sure there are other projection sites that are not as optimistic. But right now, I'm in an any port in a storm mood.

IHME | COVID-19 Projections

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This is so fluid. In terms of sports, I think we will have a better idea of where things are going in four weeks -- May 1 -- when the shelter-in-place orders expire, at least here. Hopefully, we see some numbers going down well before then.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Sure - But I think there's going to be something like, 0 cases in a state, before they open it up. Or like, dwindling into the single digits, they people are in a strict quarantine. You hope that with future outbreaks, say that case in Nigeria as you bring up, people just say, "Fuck this" and basically quarantine the country until they get it under control. Or, that a vaccine is developed, or more is uncovered about the virus that reduces the mortality rate. But as is, I don't think people are going to be as eager to get back to work as you think. (Or if they are, it's going to be a sharp thing along class lines.)

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Generally I think if you work in a service industry, like a restaurant or nail salon, etc., or if you're self-employed, you'll be champing at the bit to get back to work ASAP. I supposed rich people won't be in a hurry. The other 95%, many who work paycheck-to-paycheck, probably will.

Only 500 or 600 cases nationwide is 10-12 per state. To me that's an acceptable risk.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That’s gonna take a very long time to get to.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's different for colleges. In loco parentis and all that. But the pro sports can go ahead on the grounds everyone involved is an adult with free will.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The Jazz lay off staff. NBA teams -- every team in the major sports -- make their nut before a single game is played. Fcuk Larry Miller.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Everyone is guessing until June

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Not really into necrophilia, actually.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

What do the experts say? I have been searching on this for a week and I can't find a straight answer to these two questions:
    1) When can we set a countdown clock for the end of stay-at-home measures? After we've passed the peak of case counts or death totals, which would come by the end of April? Or must we wait to start the countdown clock until after the last death has occurred, which is on or about July 15?
    2) How long would the countdown clock be set for?
    In other words, how long after we get over the worst of it must social distancing and other measures remain in place?

Draft saved Draft deleted