1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I see where Ken Paxton is threatening to sue Austin if they don't remove their mask mandates. Paxton is Texas' boy named Sue. At least Dave Kingman hit 442 homers in addition to his 1,816 whiffs. Paxton's just swinging wildly at anything close.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

But then how will we have our World Series with teams coming from as far as two counties away?

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Covered my first high school football game of the year today. Wasn't sure if I would get in at first, with only two members of each players' family allowed. Even made a copy of my vaccination card just in case, but think my best move, not having a formal credential, was to not be an asshole at the gate. They called the home team AD, who confirmed the paper would have someone there, and all was well.

Crowd was socially distanced and masked. They taped off where fans (two per player) could and couldn't sit. The PA announcer asked parents of JV players to clear out so varsity parents could see that game. Same announcer was unmasked during the game, but I was far enough away from him to keep Dr. Faucci happy.

The game itself wasn't much. Lot of sloppy play, likely the result of no scrimmages and not as much practice or contact work. But the theme of this one was the return of football.

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

If it wasn't a tale of two halves, please let the lede be "great expectorations."

Batman likes this.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Japan Olympics banning guests bums me out probably more than it should.

I’m truly saddened for all the parents who have cheered on their child for so many years only to not be in the stands for their greatest achievement.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's really gonna put NBC in a bind. Do they put cameras in a couple hundred living rooms to watch the parents watching their kids?

maumann and PaperDoll like this.
  9. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I suspect this ban will only apply to the general, ticket-buying public. The USOC and other governing bodies may yet find a way to get parents to the Olympics, maybe as members of the delegation.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I haven’t found them yet, but I know there have to be some balls-out amazing comments somewhere on the internet. Auburn just gave its bass fishing team the death penalty for the rest of 2021 after repeated covid protocol violations.

Auburn Bass Fishing Team Suspended Until 2022

11. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

This week’s sign that the apocalypse is upon us.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Something's fishy here.

Twirling Time likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted