1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

North Dakota football playoffs are the coldest I have ever been in my life. Especially since I was always a strict sideline-only guy, no press box. I would wear every pair of thermal underwear and sweatpants I owned underneath a comically oversized pair of jeans, do something similar with undershirts and sweaters, and have one hand ungloved so I could keep notes and stats, but only pull it out between plays.

Liut, Batman and maumann like this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I froze my ass off in Elgin one night, and vowed never again. The press box at old Hughes Field in Bismarck, where many playoff games I covered were held in the days long before the Fargodome, was enclosed. Thank you very much, Dick Karlgaard.

Liut and RickStain like this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I solved the gloves problem. After having way too many that were too thick to write with, I found the cotton gloves that they sell for about $1 a pair at Wal-mart work great. They're not the thickest, and the fingers wear out quickly, but they give you some protection and still allow enough dexterity to write. I'll burn through two or three pairs per winter.
    My bigger cold-weather problem is pens. I use a standard Bic in most cases and the ink tends to freeze or get viscous when the outside temperature gets into the 30s. Hard to keep stats when your pen turns into an icicle.

Liut and RickStain like this.
  4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That's why pencils are key. I'd even bring a red pencil for when one team had the ball, and use a regular (grey) pencil for the other team.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Screw that noise. If I want to see snow, I'll go visit. Places where you have to plug in your engine block at night or you get snow to the eaves of your house are right out. I can deal with 98 degrees and insane humidity far better.

swingline, maumann and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You acclimate, same as anywhere else. My first NoDak sprint, I was wearing short sleeves when it got up to 38 in the spring.

My first spring in Southern California, I started shivering under my sweater when it’s low 60s

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I get colder when I go back home to SoCal than I do here in the Rockies. Mainly because, it's so dry here and the marine layer out there just makes me colder. Saw a dew point this morning in the mountains of minus-32.

RickStain likes this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The first piece of advice I got at the Herald was from the high school football beat guy, who told me, "always keep a couple pencils in your bag for Thanksgiving Day games and the playoffs."

I Should Coco likes this.
  9. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

. Thank you.

maumann likes this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

11. MileHigh

12. MileHigh

CIF Southern Section Championships – As I have said previously, our sports
    calendar for Fall Sports and Spring Sports for the 2020-2021 school year is in
    place and will remain in place. If schools are not able to begin
    practice/competition for Fall Sports in mid-December, as originally planned, then
    the hope would be you can begin at a time in the future that would allow you to
    do so. In that instance, unfortunately, there would have to be
    postponements/cancellations of athletic contests at the start of the Fall Sports
    season, but league play and post-season play would remain as scheduled. If
    regular seasons are shortened, it would be at the front end of the season, keeping
    the back end of the season unchanged. It is our intention for post-season play to
    be a destination for schools who are able to play this Fall, even more so if regular
    seasons are reduced at the beginning. Time will tell what that will look like, but as
    I have said throughout the period of time in preparation of the 2020-2021 sports
    calendars, all options will be on the table for post-season play as well. On
    Tuesday, January 19, 2021, when we have a better sense of the overall
    situation at that time, I will update you on the status of Southern Section
    Championships for Fall Sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted