1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

C-USA has announced that all conference basketball teams must have seven players on the bench or the game will be a forfeit. You can play just five, but seven eligible players are required.

"In other C-USA news, Charlotte has announced that AD employees making over $50k will have to take 10 furlough days between 11/23 and 6/30/2021. They can choose their days. Their benefits/insurance will not be affected. This hits 48 employees including head coaches.

AD Mike Hill said we have lost about $4.5 million in revenue, and he expects that to grow to $6 million by June. Costs have also gone up, and we have spent $1 million on Covid testing which could grow to about $3 million.

Hill said he has no expectation of cutting sports. “We are nowhere near heading in that direction. It’s not a consideration,” Hill said."

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Under normal circumstances, I'd say calling it the Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl is the greatest threat to America today.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I've been to a Sun Bowl game, had an absolute blast. Great hospitality from the locals, great pre-game party/fireworks show at the downtown convention center, and then I saw an unbelievable game. Post-Covid, I'd return there in a heartbeat. Hopefully next time my team can be the home team and we can sit on the sunny side of the stadium.

exmediahack likes this.
  5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The John Hancock Bowl (I mean, Sun Bowl) is on my bucket list of college football.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

My college football bucket list is walking through The Grove in my seersucker suit. Maybe even wearing a jaunty hat!

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I’m minus the seersucker suit and jaunty hat.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My team plays at Ole Miss in 2027, I think. Never been to Mississippi (never had any desire to visit, either). Maybe this will be my opportunity.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The school district next to us just went all virtual for the next 2.5 months and most of the comments on Facebook were about how unfair it is to have cancelled sports.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

CIF-Southern Section office shutting down and going full remote. Also, a new youth sports guidance was postponed so no CIF events until the new guidance is provided. Games/practices scheduled to start in a month.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I visited the stadium in the offseason once. Car broke down, got towed back to a dealership up the street from the UTEP campus, and I had a few hours to kill so I took a walk. Cool place. It fascinated me that they apparently built it to fit the contours of the valley where it sits. The stands are literally built into the side of a mountain.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Never covered a bowl game, but I did visit the Liberty Bowl stadium in college. Took a walk under the stands before the game and found a worn, helmet-shaped Memphis Southmen golf cart gathering dust in a corner.

Baron Scicluna and Batman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted