1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The NCAA doesn’t want nor need fall sports.

The basketball tournament is a different story. Without that, the NCAA may not last another year.

There will be a basketball tournament.

3. tapintoamerica

This is interesting. The Athletic blasts the SEC for not commenting on its reasons for going forward.
    Kendall: Silence from the SEC medical advisors is unacceptable
    Kendall: Silence from the SEC medical advisors is unacceptable

That was yesterday. Must have worked. Posted in the last hour is a long, long Q&A with one of the few experts in infectious diseases on the SEC panel.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

IMG_20200815_201213.jpg Changes in youth soccer in Massachusetts this season.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Have the Big Ten or Pac-12 commented on their reasons for not playing? I've heard all about the apparently terrifying report they showed the coaches and ADs, but I'm not sure I've seen any of the presidents answer questions at length.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Chip Kelly was on DP this week and mentioned the heart conditions post-COVID. He was very somber. Herm Edwards said the same thing on DP as well.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Which is going to be odd, because basketball seems like a much higher risk than football:
    • Indoors vs. outdoors
    • Much less room for players to spread out, both on the bench and on the playing field
    • There is arguably more close contact in basketball than football, over the course of a game. Other than the linemen, football players are next to opponents in short bursts for a few seconds at a time and more separated than you think most of the time. Basketball players that are running up and down a smaller court are typically only a couple of feet apart most of the time.
    • If any fans are allowed, they are in closer proximity to the players
    • A lot more travel
    Honestly, in covering high school sports over the next few months, I'm much more concerned about basketball season than I am about football.

The conferences that have nuked football have also nuked the first half of basketball season. It'll be interesting to see how they pick teams for a national tournament when there aren't going to be any non-conference games.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  8. tapintoamerica

PAC 12 had a detailed response. Big Ten? Nah. Nothing since the vague announcement on Tuesday.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but have the presidents or commissioner -- the ones that ultimately made the decision -- sat down with anyone?
    I know Jim Warren did some interviews, but as far as I know the Big Ten presidents were pretty quiet.

10. tapintoamerica

Basketball and volleyball seem inherently problematic to me.

Batman likes this.
  11. MileHigh

Larry Scott was on the presser announcing the Pac-12 delay. They had a LOT more outside doctors helping them with their decisions.

Batman likes this.
  12. MileHigh

Agreed. And the fact we're supposed to play basketball in Colorado before football is troubling. I don't think it's happening. But .... we've started some outdoor fall sports here.

Draft saved Draft deleted