1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

There is no reason that those players couldn’t be offered scholarships and financial aid and be paid their market value just like any other employee of the university.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with any of this. Truth be told, Division I needs to be completely overhauled. What the hell does Coppin State have in common with Maryland? There are about three programs outside of the P6 conferences that can legitimately compete for a national championship -- Gonzaga, Memphis, and (maybe?) Houston. Maybe I'm missing some, but I'd be all for there being a total split between the largest conferences and the minnows. Sure, you'd lose the Coastal Carolina baseball national title Cinderella story, but that's a super rare occurrence.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Don't shed a tear for the WWL and its fellow broadcast entities just yet. That story only deals with advertising revenue. Depending on how the contracts are written, ESPN, Fox, NBC and CBS probably won't have to pay out the rights deals this season.

Here's an excerpt from an ESPN story earlier this spring. I'll post the link as well. There's a whole lot of money on the other side of the ledger as well so Disney, Viacom and Comcast shouldn't fare as poorly as it first appears. The universities and conferences, on the other hand, are getting killed.

"According to its most recent tax filing for the fiscal year ending in June 2018, the SEC generated $432 million from TV and radio partners in 2017-18. The Pac-12 reported $339 million from TV, the ACC about $277 million and the Big 12 about $237 million. The Big Ten's most recent filing didn't specify revenue from TV, but its current media rights deals with ESPN, Fox and CBS were worth $2.64 billion over six years, or $440 million annually."

No football would cost $4B, alter college sports

Liut likes this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Last night was the final night for a local TV sports anchor. Been at the station eight years, after working at the paper for me for five or six right out of college, but management decided not to renew his contract. Part of the equation was "Why have a sports anchor when there are no sports?"

(A bigger part of the equation was "Hey, we can get somebody else to do this cheaper.")

Liut and maumann like this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Honest question - if you could go back and have another month of lockdown (May? I guess) and guarantee an unfettered college and pro football season, would you do it?

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Given that Auckland is having another round of panic buying with a lockdown imminent because their 101-day virus-free streak just came to an end, I really don't believe anything would have/could have unfettered the United States in 2020. With the right leadership and a strong offense from the get-go, we could have been in a similar situation to Canada, except for the litre/metre/centre issue. But in our defence, we have way more loonies.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Hindsight being what it is, I'm sure "yes" would poll at 95 percent. But if my memory is correct, it was really around Memorial Day when things really started to open up again, so such a lockdown would have had to go to about the 4th of July.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If given the direct choice of "lock it down or no football", Alabama would have resembled Stalag 17.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

In Kentucky, many are worried about the Kentucky Wildcats’ season.

Rupp Arena is spacious, and there are limited players in “basketball.”

I say: Play ball!

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted