1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I count 15 states that say they're going to play HS football on time and with a full schedule. Of them, 12 have Trumpist governors and all 15 voted for Trump in 2016.
    Alabama
    Idaho
    Indiana
    Michigan (D Gov)
    Missouri
    Montana (D Gov)
    Nebraska
    North Dakota
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania (D Gov)
    South Dakota
    Tennessee
    Utah
    Wyoming

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Add Arkansas to that list.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Shit for brains Cultist fuckheads who'll get what they so fucking richly deserve.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I think you're gonna' be taking Pennsylvania off of that list soon.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Full list here:

Where the start of high school sports stands in all 50 states amid pandemic - MaxPreps

Besides Arkansas, add Iowa, which is starting on time but with a flexible schedule.

Kansas currently is scheduled to start on time, but they have gone back to the drawing board because schools won't open until after Labor Day. Still awaiting a decision from the governors in Rhode Island and Vermont.

Maine, Massachusetts and New Hampshire also still scheduled to start on time.

6. tapintoamerica

Thanks.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

And so will a bunch of innocent kids that they are supposed to be making decisions to protect... and their parents/grandparents. Add that everyone in those sixteen states is not a Trumpist, they're stuck living with the results.

maumann likes this.
  8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I don't care, do U?

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And I highly doubt any of those states going forward have any resources to at least try to limit exposure to COVID. It isn't like any of these states are going to holding games and not allowing crowds right?

10. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Ohio just announced a 6-game schedule starting August 24 and every team - all 700 - can participate in the state playoffs. Teams that opt out of the playoffs or lose in the early rounds can continue playing to a max of 10 games.
    This assumes the state Department of Health allows them to play.
    Meanwhile, St. Ignatius High School in Cleveland - a traditional state power in multiple sports - announced earlier today that it is suspending all sports until September 8.

11. tapintoamerica

Playoffs adjusted to have more groups? A 128-team bracket means 7 games.

12. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

From the release: "Playoffs start Friday, Oct. 9, with all state finals no later than Saturday, November 21" - that's 7 weeks.
    I think they are counting on a lot of schools opting not to participate in the tournament

Draft saved Draft deleted