1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I don't believe college football works in the spring, either. Not with a turnaround to restart in late summer.

2. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

The only way it can work is with something short -- a 6-game regular season. Accept that there will be no national champion and have that regular season followed by conference-championship games. Then take the 2021 season and lop two or three games off of it, thus starting the campaign in mid-to-late September.

SFIND likes this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I can't see it working on cooler climes unless you can book a some 24/7.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Burst for three Louisville soccer players.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So the NBA bubble, the masks on staff and refs and social distancing, in addition to the testing are all just redundancies right? Just seems strange they put all this effort into the bubble and the mask and distancing are still necessary.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Maybe they are just modeling proper protocols for viewers?

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  8. MileHigh

Will be interesting to see if there will be an influx of players from nearby states where seasons are being pushed back will head to Arizona to play. I've heard of a handful of players here doing that. The state association is going to put a rule in place that if a player plays in another state, they can't play in the shortened season here in the spring.

9. MileHigh

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Maaaan, I’m telling you. Move high school and college football to the spring permanently. Gives you nine straight months of football and it allows the NFL to cock block a rival league forming like the XFL. “Ohhh but what about college basketball???!” Fuck you. No one cares past March Madness anyways.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If early September football is too dangerous for the SEC, why on earth is it safe for Alabama high schools, which won’t be testing?

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted