1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Nope. I resisted.

TigerVols likes this.
  2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

So a successful Washington State coach leaves Pullman for Fame and fortune in the SEC and manages to show his ass before even coaching one game. It’s not like that has ever happened before...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Gundy’s comments are like catnip to national online sports media. Free hits and the chance to hyperventilate for some more free hits.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Poor Mike Gundy.

The media is so mean.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

None of which makes the criticisms wrong or Gundy's comments justifiable.

This column makes a point that supersedes all others. There's a practical reason colleges can't conduct footbawwwwl practices while determining the campus at general is unsafe. And it is this: Such an argument undercuts the notion that these are amateurs and just normal students who have a special talent. It destroys the model on which college sports run by placing athletics in even greater contrast to the rest of the educational enterprise than the normal level of hypocrisy.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don’t give a shit about Mike Gundy. He’s a prick who has been awful to the media, repeatedly, so he sure as hell doesn’t give a shit about what the media thinks of him.

It’s just so predictable, the hyperventilating.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Here's a crazy idea: how about these coaches say, "I can't speculate on that. We're in contact with the administration to remain in the loop on when things may start up again but I really can't comment on that." What's so fucking hard about that? If these pampered jackasses would have said that instead of babbling about dragging money through the state or zero doubts, we aren't talking about them. Oh, and if I'm Gundy, I'm more worried about the fact that my personal sugar daddy is dead and won't protect his job security anymore. He's 15-11 in the last two seasons, a whopping one game better than Mr. Fourth-and-One Pat Narduzzi. Turn off OAN and start watching game film, dickbird.

Iron_chet and garrow like this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So is the hyperventilating about the hyperventilating.

TrooperBari and Cosmo like this.
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Why don't you just log the fuck off Twitter then? Jesus man, you're too smart to be this fucking insufferable.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Right.

But he's a loud-mouthed white Conservative asshole, so you'll defend him to the end of the earth while insisting it's not a reflection on your values at all.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Dana White talked about holding fights on a private island. Now he's talking about a reservation.

Reports: Dana White plans to hold UFC 249 on California tribal land to bypass COVID-19 safety regulations

Even with an arena that's completely empty except for the fighters, officials and people necessary to do the broadcast, it seems to me that boxing. MMA or wrestling at this time is an especially bad idea.

You need to have an ambulance or two continuously present. Those would probably be needed elsewhere. The fighters who are injured badly enough to require medical attention would end up in an emergency room where they'd likely be infected. They'd also be occupying a bed and hospital staff that someone else would need.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    Inky_Wretch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted