1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The problem with Gundy's quote is the bit about the needing to "run money through Oklahoma."

You couch it as being safer in a controlled environment. He's saying it needs to be done for $$$. Two different mindsets.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

He didn't say it poorly at all. He was very clear in what he said.

The problem is that his viewpoint is disgusting. He expressed it perfectly well.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Agreed.

No college football would indeed crush Stillwater tho financially. And the university.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

yeah. Funny how a sports journalism board let Dennis Dodd off the hook for that written tongue bath.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

OK. Let's think this out.
    The current roster includes 31 Texans, at least 11 of whom are from the Metroplex. Three others are from Shreveport. In truth, we don't know how many are potentially compromised, but your assumption that many of these players are coming back from hot zones appears to be quite viable. If it is accurate, the risk that one or more players is infected but asymptomatic is higher than the risk with most other cohorts of 120 in the general Oklahoma State student population. If that's true, do we know that all 120 could be brought back to campus at the same time? Or would they need to arrive in smaller groups?
    Unlike Gundy, I'm not going to claim expertise. Neither am I going to disparage the "so-called medical people," as he did.
    If all 120 can be brought back at once, you'd need tests with quick turnaround times. Is that possible by May 1?
    Would they have to be isolated from one another until test results come back? By that, I mean limited numbers of people per hall of a dorm. Again, I don't know. I'm not talking about purely medical issues here. I'm assuming lawyers would want these measures in place. Maybe not.
    There is another issue here: If bringing certain students back to campus would be better than letting them stay at home, why should football players be prioritized? You can't apply the logic that Stillwater is safer than other places for too many people or you've got a numbers problem that makes quarantine measures implausible.
    Obviously, football players are more financially valuable to Oklahoma State than other students are. That's why they get full cost of attendance and a series of other benefits that others don't receive.
    But what idiots like Saint Dabo and Gundy don't get is that this is a big country, and the "so-called medical people" agree that this virus will impact different regions in different time frames. Specifically, Gundy's state of Oklahoma is one week behind the national average for peak demand on medical resources. Its peak day is April 22. That's pretty close to May 1.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    Flip Wilson likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think the point here is that social distancing is impossible in football. I mean, those would be some weird formations. Ergo, if there's a asymptomatic tackle out there in Cowboyland, whole team's getting sick. Also, presumably coaches go home to their families, who're still in general population. Oklahoma State can get by without one football season. The financial risk of Gundy's stunt creating a disaster for the school and indeed the entire state budget is not trivial. Why do it? Also, if one college team does this and none of the other do, who're they gonna play to bring in that money?

tapintoamerica likes this.
  7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Cash
    Overflow
    Wanted
    Because it's
    Oklahoma's
    Yearly
    Stimulus

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Twitter has been won for the evening.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

"Great! I look forward to eating at Popeyes every day for lunch!" a bemused Leach said.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

This has to be the biggest word salad you've ever tossed without managing to slip in a dig or two at the SEC; although I have to admit I only scanned it so maybe you did and I overlooked it.

BTExpress likes this.
  12. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

Like most aficionados of One America News, Mike Gundy said the quiet part out loud.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted