1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Fall sports looking less and less likey in California high schools.

Also this. CIF to announce decision on fall season Monday

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

IIRC @MileHigh has been saying this for weeks.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

6. MileHigh

Went back to look. April 22, I wrote:

It just didn't make sense back then and it doesn't now. Saw a guideline on Monday for Indiana high school football to return. It was a joke. Including no pregame or postgame handshakes. Team boxes extended to the 10-yard lines for "social distancing." But, hey, let's get out there for more than two hours, line up from each other, tackle and beat the hell out of each other and sweat and breathe on everyone, but nope, no handshakes afterward.

Same for the two-page guidance for officials. A joke.

SFIND likes this.
  7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The Head of the Charles is off.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A Facebook friend who is a retired teacher in the Rio Grande Valley, who also operates the scoreboard at district football and basketball games, noted if there's an overlap between football and basketball, there will be some busy weeks for him. Also pointed out that several officials work football, basketball and volleyball, and will there be enough to cover everything?

9. MileHigh

I do football and basketball. There will have to be some crafty scheduling that takes place. Beyond officiating -- and I've heard of several here who aren't coming back -- they need lots of things to figure out as Sondheimer pointed out in his article. I know that Wigod previously felt that with so many people out of work that there will be an influx of new officials. He's delusional. But the officiating part is near the bottom of the list. There's been a massive shortage of officials in all high school sports for years and years. This likely will break that back.

ChrisLong and HanSenSE like this.
  10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I talked to a coach today about if they moved volleyball to 2021 and tried to do it in January -- they'd have to do volleyball Mondays and Thursdays to avoid basketball on Tuesdays and Fridays to have enough gyms

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

DanielSimpsonDay and HanSenSE like this.
  12. MileHigh

Don't forget wrestling. Of course, this assumes we're playing these sports in the winter, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted