1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That is exactly the formula used by France and Germany to provide economic assistance now. Instead of unemployment benefits, they subsidize the salaries of workers who temporarily have no effective work to perform. The theory is that this makes the restarting of the economy much easier because there has been less disruption.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Russia basically extended that "national paid holiday" from one week to one month. But it doesn't apply to essential workers who still have jobs. Unlike here, where everyone gets a check even if they haven't lost a thing.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Just Fox being Fox

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He's a man. He's 40 ... err, 52!

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

He referred to this as “the Chinese virus.”
    He’s straight out of the Dabo School of Trumpist Thought.
    And he, like Saint Dabo, is a millionaire because of black athletes, whose fellow African Americans are dying at disproportionately high rates in the Trumpandemic.
    I wonder if he’ll face more criticism than Dabo, called by one fawning national media member, “exactly what America needs.”

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

This is what I'm talking about: Why does Mike Gundy have a net worth of $10 million? He's not even in the top 100 of what he does.

Cosmo likes this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He also mentioned he was spending a lot of time watching OAN because it's more trustworthy than other news channels. He's about a year away from being a full-blown Alex Jonesian Qanon fan.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. tapintoamerica

A year?
    More like a week.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. tapintoamerica

He lives in Stillwater.
    Which, come to think of it, is kind of like Clemson. Only flatter.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Gundy said this poorly. No getting around that.

But I've written it elsewhere on this thread: I'd be hard-pressed to believe that 120 football players are safer in their individual hometowns - almost certainly not staying home that much, even in some hot zones for the virus - than they would be in a controlled environment, on campus, sequestered in dorms, checked daily for their health. Maybe my position is anecdotal, but I just find it unlikely that where they're at is better than where they could be.

Draft saved Draft deleted