1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Chance of survival 1 in 1,000?

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Corrected. I wanted to be a journalist but realized I was a mediocre writer who made too many typos. I decided a mediocre accountant could make a hell of a lot more money than a mediocre journalist so I changed career paths.

expendable likes this.
  3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Think of what one wrongful death claim could do to a school district.

High school sports are not going to be played. And nor fucking should they.

If I'm leading a department I'm already brainstorming on how to fill the void.

HanSenSE, ChrisLong and OscarMadison like this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Cue the Trumpists and science deniers ...

"Kids are at a bigger risk driving to school in the morning. Are we going to bubble wrap them until they graduate? They need to learn to deal with risk in their lives. This is a teaching moment for them. If they are scared, they can stay home."

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

According to the CDC there have been less than 300 deaths in the 0-24 age group. Couldn't easily find the breakdown on total cases, but I doubt it's 300,000.

COVID-19 Provisional Counts - Weekly Updates by Select Demographic and Geographic Characteristics

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    OscarMadison likes this.
  7. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Until there's a plan for school -- and that's currently district by district in most states I've looked at -- there shouldn't be announcements about school-based sports. But New Jersey also starts summer workouts on Monday, and there's a massive high school baseball tournament coming up -- with fans but without testing protocols.

Has the NFHS or any of the state athletic associations -- or even educational institutions -- brought testing into the mix? It seems necessary to prevent potential super-spreaders.

8. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Those are very good points.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It’s not just surviving. It’s weeks to months of pain and recuperation. For kids that means being quarantined without your parents being able to see you. It also means increased health risks down the road and possible and the literature starts to suggest probable of a decrease in life expectancy.

Its not just death thats a drawback to getting a virus whose impact dwarfs the flu. The flu is a sprained ankle, COVID is compound fracture of the femur.

tapintoamerica and OscarMadison like this.
  10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Ferrari F1 Face Masks | Redbubble

Stay safe.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

No one thinks it will be their kid.* Until it is.

* Or mom, or dad, or aunt, or uncle, or grandma, or grandpa.

* Or them.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

And Nazis are very good people.

Covid-19 does not just kill people. It leaves them with lung lesions, blood clots, kidney damage, strokes, and many other long term illnesses and organ damages.

Draft saved Draft deleted