1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Same problem with the various sports leagues as with the entire country: lack of uniform pandemic infrastructure.

Scattered, idiosyncratic testing and tracking; absence of standardized arrival and quarantine protocols; insufficient restrictions on participants; indifferent enforcement.

OscarMadison, HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don’t. I’m responding to the posts at hand.

Oddly, Az to indicated it’s OK that the NBA returns, so who knows what he/she is arguing.

What I think is we know too damn much about every positive test in sports, and it causes us to go into “it won’t work! It won’t work!” mode.

maumann likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Same as on the corona thread, I'm not arguing anything but public health.

If you can bring back sports safely, please do.

4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Keeping sports safe is going to have to include a high volume of regular testing. Are there even enough tests available to do that? And if those resources are sold/sent to the leagues, does that mean fewer tests will be available to the public?

TowelWaver and maumann like this.
  5. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Super Rugby matches in NZ have packed stadiums, no masks. Kind of weird to see.

Aussie crowds are socially distanced, didn't notice any masks. 1500 in a venue that likely takes close to 20,000.

maumann likes this.
  6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Agreed. The problem right now isn't the positive-test count unless it's really high on a particular team. There's still time for people to recover and play.
    There's an understandable desire for transparency -- or at least the avoidance of criticism and allegations of secrecy. But of course every announcement is, on its face, a statement of potential peril. So they're in a tough spot.
    The revelations in MLB do serve an important purpose because they have brought a serious problem -- speed of test results -- to light. MLB now knows that it's got to do something to make this work faster or players are going to opt out en masse. And they should.
    The testing in training camps also helps us learn something about how the virus impacts the segment of the adult population least likely to suffer serious consequences.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

8. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

FC Dallas has 10 of the 13 positive tests among MLS players, and has withdrawn from the tournament.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

11. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

My friend asked me today if I wished to attend the Indianapolis 500.

No thank you!

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted