1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Alma seems mad because his Baal - college football - is being blown up.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Dabo says This Is Gonna End Real Soon because this is Amurrica. We have the best people.
    The theory might work if the president was among those outstanding public servants or if he hadn’t ignored the issue.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

['takes his Baal and goes home' joke goes here ____]

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Scott Gottlieb, the former FDA commissioner, said on CNBC this morning that there's next to no chance there will be large gatherings allowed in the fall. He wondered how many people would go to them even if they were allowed. He used business conferences and movie theaters as his examples. Didn't mention sports, but didn't have to, really.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

Amid pandemic, some people get pissy if you suggest their amateur sport is disposable trash.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Professional golf may be the one sport that can work without fans through this whole mess. The operation is so spread out over such a large area. The only essential personnel are the players, caddies, rules officials and TV personnel. But professional golf is so dependent on sponsorship money that one wonders if companies will continue to stay on as title sponsors if they can get no bang for their buck, so to speak.

Just think it's too early to be making grand proclamations one way or another on what the near future will look like. We may be in a better position by the end of the month to do so.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I was thinking watching the 2019 Valero Open at times over the weekend that there was a sponsor who got no bang for their buck this year. But many events are sponsored by the financial services industry (insurance included). Those still advertise bigly during the pandemic.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Fair point. It'll be the charitable organizations tied to specific events who will take the bigger hit.

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I was SID at a Sun Belt school when Denver and Florida International were both members. (Most) road trips in that league sucked, because we couldn't afford to charter, so we were flying out of the local airport to a larger hub then on to somewhere else. And there were many eight- and nine-hour bus trips. Those were really fun, especially coming home after a Saturday night basketball game when we had lost both games on that Thursday-Saturday swing.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Even if an entire season is cancelled, CFB will be back. Some of the sports it supports? Maybe not.

The bigger fear is universities themselves, if classes go online in the fall and there's virtually no room and board to collect. Coupled with the budget cuts that will inevitably be handed down by state governments next winter, higher learning is looking at quite a blow unless we start to examine how we can come back by fall.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  11. 3_Octave_Fart

I don't want to be like these asswipes on social media rubbing their crystal balls and telling us nothing is ever going to be the same that it once was ... but nothing is ever going to be the same that it once was.

"We'll see" - but I expect college to become something like it was in my father's day, where only the moneyed can go.

Among other things this has also shown us the utter folly of Bernie's platform.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It also can't be ignored that college football attendance was already in about its fourth or fifth consecutive year of decline before this.

TigerVols and I Should Coco like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted