1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The high school parents have been big-time revolting against the state association in Colorado demanding they let the kids play. Just got off the phone with someone who said the state association is under "intense pressure" to start the seasons on time. The order has to come from the governor, but this will be a district-by-district decision.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

There's WAR for officials?

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If I'm parents and players of youth baseball in Colorado, I have one message for these rogues: "You go to Utah, you stay in Utah."

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If I'm Utah, I'm like "Two week quarantine, then we can play the tournament".

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

VORO. Value Over Replacement Official.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Not quite. I'm asking why the concern of healthy athletes playing sports in a bubble somehow is in the same stratosphere of a "thing to be worried about" compared to bars. I mean, if we're into going to the tip of the spear in the public health crisis, let's go to the perceived tip of the spear. Or let's stop eating meat so we can close the packing plants.

If MLB or NBA folded tent tomorrow, I'd kind of chuckle a little, but it's their prerogative. Especially as it's not a clear public health crisis, given no one in America will be more tested and better cared for than these athletes...the athletes can do whatever they want. That includes...playing the games. I have no idea what their essence has to do with it. Flower shops are inessential. Home improvement projects are inessential. Car washes are inessential.

Honestly, if I had to guess why sports gets more attention on this matter, it's precisely it would bring a lot of joy to people for sports to return. I'm not sure the media's really ready to flip that switch. I'm not sure certain political leaders are, either. Grim times must remain grim.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I kid, of course.

I badly try to be the coach who is nice to the officials, especially at that age level. They're all mostly new to officiating, and we've got to coach them up just like we coach the players up.

If someone has ever been ejected from a youth sporting event for bitching at officials, I judge that person ... harshly.

MileHigh likes this.
  8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

If you've ever seen angry parents chase refs to their cars after a game, your question has been answered in the affirmative.

HanSenSE and MileHigh like this.
  9. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

It seems many here do not want to see sports resume. I am surprised. I love sports.

Play ball!

10. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Who specifically are the people who "do not want to see sports resume"?

Name them.

11. Neutral Corner

Aren't you supposed to be under a bridge somewhere?

Jerry-atric likes this.
  12. Neutral Corner

I was an asst. coach in a Teeball league when the opposing HC got on a fifteen year old ump so badly that not only was he thrown from the game but he was removed by the league.

It wasn't pretty.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted