1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Clemens return?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tom Petty, Oct 11, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'd like to have some stats to back that up, because I'm not sold on that remark. With all these young arms up, I cannot agree with you, boots.

Just about every team has some young kid that most teams general managers would die to have. From Webb to Peavy to Verlander to Bannister to Beckett to Lincecum to Maine to Carlos Zambrano to Wang, Chamberlain, Hughes and Kennedy to Liriano to Kazmir and Shields to Carmona to Marcum to Francis to Hamels to Rich Hill to Haren to Bedard and Guthrie to Felix to Matsuzaka.

Those are off the top of my head. I'm sure I've forgotten a few.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If the Red Sox signed him, he would be considered Christ II around here again, as long as he performed (i.e. unlike J.D. Drew).

Too many Laundry Lovers here who didn't appreciate the guy for what he was when he left, simply because he wore the wrong jersey.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The Braves, Tampa Bay and Florida will not spend the money for Clemens. That's just rubbish. Clemens will demand way more than the Devil Rays and Marlins will be willing to spend. Those organizations pay their teams less than Clemens made with their Yankees, figuratively speaking. And the Braves don't need a pitcher in his mid-40s. There's no way he goes there. It's New York or bust for Roger.

And he's already in the Hall wearing a Red Sox cap. There's no need to secure it. He's got nearly 200 wins, I think 192 of his 354 wins and three Cy Youngs with Boston -- I wrote it in another post.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sorry, Wicked. Red Sox could have had him this summer but wouldn't play the price. What makes you think they'd pay it next year?

5. Interesting.

But I still can't see them doing this, especially with starters such as Beckett, Dice-K, Schilling, Lester, Wakefield and Buchholz. And since they traded Gabbard, I took that as a sign that they had plenty of starting pitching.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't see anyone shoveling out the money for another year of hamstring issues. Not even the Yankees.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

He may have thrown his last pitch.

8. dmc

dmc Guest

[/quote]

You know the Sox much better than I. Would the Red Sox Nation want him back after his trip to the dark side?
    [/quote]

no, I think that time has passed.

Draft saved Draft deleted