1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Caleb Hannan ever address the Dr. V story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Feb 20, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm quite sure Caleb Hannan doesn't give a fuck about what I think of him or his career or how he should conduct himself.

I'm also sure Ray Rice doesn't care what Dick Whitman thinks about him or his career or how he should conduct himself. And, Jerry Seinfeld is likely unconcerned by Mystery Meat's thoughts regarding the best ensemble cast, and weather or not Seinfeld is eligible for consideration.

What does that have to do with weather or not it's a good topic of discussion for SportsJournalists.com?

We discuss how events will effect the careers of Michael Sam, Jonathan Martin, Ritchie Ingognito, John Harbaugh, and a host of others.

Why would curiosity and/or speculation about Caleb Hannan's future be different, or upset you so?

This was a guy who was on top of the world one day. He was basking in praise from his peers and interacting with admirers on twitter. Then it all came crashing down, and we haven't heard from him since. That's interesting. I'd go so far as to say -- it would make a good story! What's he doing? What's he thinking? Who's he talking to? Who's he taking advice from? Is he working on a new story? Is he writing?

How will he move forward? Will he have to address it in order to put it behind him, or will he be able to just ignore it?

I think he has to address it at some point. I think his career will stall unless he does. And, if he has to address it, then waiting is a bad idea, in my opinion.

If you disagree, or have a different opinion, share it. But, there's no reason to try and shout me down, or try and declare me unfit to participate in such a conversation.

If I'm unfit for this conversation, then tell me who here is fit to discuss Ray Rice's career or Michael Sam's.

2. YankeeFan

You know, it's funny. When writers make themselves a part of the story, there's often debate about whether or not the reader cares.

Does the reader care if the food in the press box is cold, or if the press seats at the NCAA Final Four were moved, or if a running back at the Super Bowl Media Day was uncooperative?

And, the first person, long form stories, where the author is the star of the piece have driven debate as well.

In this story, Caleb was a major player in the story. If he wasn't the star, he was the co-star. His reaction to learning Dr. V WAS A MAN was described in detail -- chill up my spine.

The story was as much -- or more -- about Caleb's journey as it was about Dr. V.

As such, as the story has changed, wouldn't any invested reader want to know what Caleb is thinking/feeling now? The story cries out for it.

Now, as the subject of the story, maybe Caleb isn't interested in letting us into his mind. But, as the reporter on the story, he owes it to us.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be too difficult for Caleb to just write a quick "Sorry, I fucked up and feel terrible" piece.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

YF,

Honestly? My guess is he's writing a follow-up piece that will be published somewhere, perhaps even Grantland, that will include some sort of apology/examination of errors.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Grantland should let the tail wag the dog.

One reader's opinion should be followed. he is a reader.

Now everyone go out there and do all those features that one reader suggested.

6. YankeeFan

Yes, I'm sure I'm the only reader who wants to know the rest of the story. (Members of the trans community are very interested in hearing from Caleb.)

But, again, it's interesting. The mantra used to be that writers were the story tellers, not a part of the story. But, more and more writers are telling their story. Writers are concentrating on building personal brands. Sites like Grantland make a conscious effort to promote young writers, and give them the time and space to tell their stories. And, if even in a small universe, writers are becoming stars.

And, with all of this, writers become public figures, celebrities even, in their own right. So, when they make news, people want to know more.

Caleb's journey was the story in this case. He invited us to take the journey with him, and he built suspense as he doled out the information he learned along the way. His reactions to what he learned were a big part of the story.

Well, with the events that have transpired, we now only have half of Caleb's story. We're left without an ending. He shouldn't be upset or disappointed that we want to know more. He should be happy. He got us interested in his story.

Instead, he's gone and hidden. He doesn't want the attention, and doesn't want to share his story.

I find that contradictory.

7. YankeeFan

Entirely possible. And, maybe he's treating it as a story that needs/deserves reporting, which takes some time. That might explain the delay. (Though, if that's true, I imagine we would have heard from some of the people he's talked to.)

I'm not sure what else would explain the delay.

It's been five weeks or so since he went silent, and it's not like he's dependent on a print publishing schedule in today's digital age.

8. 93Devil

Obama is still married.

9. 93Devil

http://www.redstate.com/2012/10/26/why-i-think-obama-is-toast/

http://townhall.com/columnists/wayneallynroot/2012/05/30/why_obama_will_lose_in_a_landslide/page/2

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83447.html

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/obama-will-lose-because-of-abortion-knights-of-columbus-head

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0612/77097.html

Maybe this writer is following the path of the GOP?

10. YankeeFan

I'm sure you have a point buried deep in your mind, but I'm missing it.

And, making the thread political will only get it locked, which is surely your goal.

Do you have anything to add on the topic at hand?

11. 93Devil

Nope.

I'm sure everyone here sees all the things that have been concerned trolled here over the years, but no one ever demands those media outlets for their pitiful half assed reports.

This website actually had a huge mia culpa done by the editor, which is far more than 99.9% of websites would ever do, yet you are still looking for a pound of flesh from the writer.

This is just something you have started to post on here that has found a modicum of traction from 2-3 posters, so that gives your day some small bit of reward, I guess.

Isn't this the 3-4th thread on this topic?

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

There is an important lesson in hubris to be gained here.

Draft saved Draft deleted