1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Caleb Hannan ever address the Dr. V story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Feb 20, 2014.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Typically, the line between employee and contractor was an employee had taxes withheld, while a contractor did not.

But I've heard some anecdotal examples that a newspaper couldn't provide a laptop to a freelancer because if you did then that would extend some benefits normally associated with employees to the freelancer. The example was they could claim workman's comp in case of an injury on assignment.

I've also heard that if the publication says the writer is an employee for the purposes of getting credentials or access either by letter or the issuing of a photo ID that says they are a representative of that publication, then they have some of the same benefits of an employee.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well exactly.

Let's assume Simmon's apology was enough, and nothing more is required from Hannan.

So, what's he do next? How does he reintroduce himself? He hasn't been published since Dr. V. He hasn't tweeted. He hasn't done an on the record interview.

When does he work again? Who publishes him? What's the reaction?

3. YankeeFan

Good God folks. Hannan is not a Disney/ESPN/Grantland employee.

He pitched them a story, and they bought it. They paid him and will send him a 1099. That's it.

He doesn't have an employee number or an ID. He didn't fill out a ton of papers with HR and pick a health plan and 401k.

He's a freelancer, and has been published in other outlets, which also do not employ him.

Now, Hannan may find it in his best interest to remain silent, because it's what he thinks (or has been told) will best help him get published by Disney/ESPN/Grantland again. But, he's not an employee that HR can tell to stay quiet. He can't be fired by them, since they don't employ him.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Freelancers can get fired.

But I'd rather talk about labor law then go down the Caleb Hannan rabbit hole.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Come on, guys. It drives us all bonkers when some muckety-muck speaks for a corporation or organization instead of getting things from the horse's mouth. Now we're going to say that we find that A-OK from our own (former) industry?

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'll ask again: What, specifically, do you want Hannan to say that hasn't been said already?

7. Dick Whitman

Nothing in particular. I just want to hear him address it. I don't interview people, in most cases, seeking specific answers.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

We already know exhaustive details on how the story was reported and edited, and Hannan's mindset during all of it, including the aftermath.

There's no more relevant insight to be gained.

If he wants to personally apologize, that's different.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Reporter: "But are you prepared to apologize?"

John Lennon: "I wasn't saying whatever they're saying I was saying. I'm sorry I said it really. I never meant it to be a lousy anti-religious thing. I apologize if that will make you happy. I still don't know quite what I've done. I've tried to tell you what I did do but if you want me to apologize, if that will make you happy, then OK, I'm sorry."

Hannan could recycle this quote for the benefit of some of his nobody critics who apparently can't or won't move on with their lives unless and until he comes up with an apology that will satisfy their sense of moral outrage.

10. YankeeFan

I'm not sure why folks think it's so odd to expect the author, who outed someone as transsexual, to address the issue.

The media holds others accountable for their mistakes. I don't think it's unreasonable for a journalist to own up to his own mistake.

And, if he feels he owes an apology to the trans community -- not for causing Dr. V's suicide, but for outing her, and his general ignorance regarding the issues -- then he should apologize.

If he doesn't feel the need to apologize -- and Hannan himself has criticized the "to anyone I might have offended" type of apologies -- then that's fine too.

But, too say nothing does seem unusual to me. It looks cowardly. And, I'm not sure it's the right move for his career.

He specifically told journalists, off the record, that he would address it. Maybe he's changed his mind.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Has anyone from the longform coterie ever apologized, for anything?
    Ever shown the least bit of critical self-reflection?
    Let's be serious here.

12. Dick Whitman

Yeah, the dude who invented the lede in Esquire about the Northern Illinois shooter.

Draft saved Draft deleted