1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Caleb Hannan ever address the Dr. V story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Feb 20, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's been over a month since Hannan has said anything on the record.

He told various people that he would comment when he had was ready. Will he ever comment, apologize, or even defend the article?

If you're an editor, can you assign him work before he does?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Actually I kind of do. The guy was pleased as punch for the 24 hours that he was the toast of the sports journalism world. Now he is in hiding, with what appears to be the complicity of his editors and supporters.

I do wonder where will be the next place his byline pops up and what the fallout will be from that.

4. YankeeFan

Crisis Management 101 says to deal with the problem up front, and as soon as possible.

The fact that he hasn't is interesting. Is he worried about potential legal problems? Maybe. But, even then, you'd expect a statement from a lawyer.

Does he think it will all blow over if he lays low for a while? Maybe. But, I think that would be a bad move. I'm not sure he can get much work until he deals with this, and if he doesn't address it first, his next piece will get overshadowed by this one, and its controversy. How would he even promote his next piece? And, knowing this, why would anyone assign him anything?

Surely too much time has gone by for him to still be collecting his thoughts, and trying to properly word a statement. I'd be curious to know who he is taking advice from, and what if anything, ESPN/Grantland has suggested.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Seriously. Get over it already, YF.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. YankeeFan

Why?

It's a serious question.

In what other job could you make such a public mistake, and expect to move on without ever addressing it? A cop, doctor, or politician wouldn't be able to just ignore the issue, and we wouldn't be expected to "get over it".

Now, if he never wants to work in media again, fine. But how could an editor assign him a story at this point?

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

https://longform.org/writers/caleb-hannan

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Talk-radio hosts.

9. YankeeFan

Well, not to get too far off topic, but even when a talk radio host says something controversial, don't they usually address the topic on their show, either to apologize for it, defend it, explain it, etc.?

Hannan hasn't said anything publicly on the subject, and it's over a month since he went silent.

Just as a crisis management issue, it's interesting.

My thought is that he doesn't feel the need to apologize. If he did, he would have. And, since he doesn't, he figures saying anything will just make the issue worse.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Grantland already "apologized" on his behalf.

Let's be honest, that's as much as we get from anyone, be it journalist, politician, radio host, etc. No one is going to voluntarily do more to highlight their fuckups than they absolutely have to. They issue the "I'm sorry if you were offended" shtick and move on.

What else do you want him to say? Or, more importantly, what do you expect him to say that hasn't already been said?

11. YankeeFan

Well, I can't imagine someone having to apologize on my behalf, and not feeling the need to either add my own apology, or defend myself.

And, as a freelancer, Hannan has to consider where his next paycheck will come from.

When politicians, or radio hosts have been fired, they've at least done the interview with the sympathetic media member where they cry, and try to rehab their reputation.

Hannan wasn't fired, but like them, he's looking for his next "job".

I'm not sure he can get one without addressing the issue. Maybe I'll be proven wrong.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Glenn Beck

Draft saved Draft deleted