1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Bonds hit 756 during the regular season?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CradleRobber, Apr 2, 2007.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

With all due respect, no you wouldn't.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hmmm, Bowie Buffoon didn;t show when Aaron broke the record, so there is precedent for Selig staying away...

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He would if he's an idiot.

Let's see. Somebody is trying to draw a comparison with O.J. Simpson. A bunch of posters want one put in his earhole. Starman makes a crack about Bonds retiring the next day once he gets it. The amount of hatred for this guy, one of many cheats in the steroid era, never ceases to amaze me. Are you rooting or Jason Giambi to take one in the earhole every time he steps up? Are you hoping Gary Sheffield rips up his knee and never plays again?

I understand the frustration about the record. Bonds was going to be a Hall of Famer before he ever used any performance enhancers, but no way he would have gotten near Aaron's record. But the level of irrational hatred has gotten out of hand just because he, like MANY others, used steroids and he happens to be a prick on top of it. And that leaves many of us trying to make him out to be completely evil.

I just keep thinking back to his time in Pittsburgh. Bonds was the bad guy with the attitude. Bobby Bonilla was the engaging one with the smile on his face. Of course, when things got tough, Bonilla turned out to be a phony with every bit as bad an attitude and his star faded as fast as it rose. Bonds was always a jerk, but we've always known that. He was also an incredibly driven athlete who has gotten everything possible out of his ability and when that wasn't enough, he did whatever was necessary to get even more from his body.

I guess it's Starman's crack that bugs me, because that isn't Bonds. Not with his competitive drive. Then again, that would mean admitting he has admirable qualities along with all the flaws.

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

OOP,
    I think 99 percent of it is the record. I mean, Hank Aaron's all-time home run record? Roger Maris' 61 home runs in one season? Those are pretty close to sacred. Add in his attitude and I can see why people dislike him so much.

Hate? I don't know if I hate him. But if he suffers an injury during the year would I be terribly upset? Nope.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The record no longer belonged to Maris when Bonds broke it. And at the time, nobody was accusing Bonds of cheating, either. Obviously, the celebration of his record wasn't the same as when McGwire passed Maris and a lot of that was because it had been such a short time. Though I think the fact that people just liked McGwire an Sosa a lot more than Bonds was a factor, too.

6. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

The only way Barry hits 756 homers this season is if he uses his head as a bat.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I hope Bonds passes it, and ASAP.

8. m2spts

m2spts Member

What a trifecta:
    Barry Bonds, Anna Nicole Smith, Brittney Spears.
    Isn't the news biz great??

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

756 what?
    756 balls?
    756 fans?
    756 homers?
    756 .... needles?

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I'm really geeked up for his first game tomorrow. And I hope he stays healthy (a big hope, to be sure).

Because no one does 'vengenace' like Barry. I want to see that reality show.

Draft saved Draft deleted