1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Billy Packer Finally be suspended ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rhody31, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

That's fine. I'm saying he should be fired for using the word.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

That's kind of chilling, Rhody. A man should be fired for using a word correctly?

3. Rhody31

You can't be serious. Do you honestly believe that's what Packer meant? A college professor was fired for using the word niggardly when speaking to a co-worker. A national tv announcer uses a word with a negative connotation - one with British origin that he has never used on air to describe the players he's talking about even though at times their situations called for it - and no one gives a shit?
    Does Packer speak using old-world british terms all the time? Is it ye olde NCAA tournament? No. I know there's a PC problem in this country, but apparently it's only when it involves blacks.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Read Bravo Two Zero - The brits use it all the time as way to say they are tired.

I just walked 5 miles and I am really fagged.

It would be a sad day if Billy Packer is suspended for that.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Be serious Rhody. Words have more than one meaning and in this case what Packer said was totally harmless.
    Fired for saying "fag out." Total stupidity.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Sorry, Rhody. It was wrong to fire someone for using the word "niggardly" and it would be wrong to fire Packer for using the phrase "fag out."
    Not to sound like an ageist, but it's a fairly familiar phrase to anyone over forty. Packer's, what, in his 60s?

Look in your Webster's Third International, or in the OED, and you'll see that "to weary or exhaust" is often the first citation for the word "fag" - along with the slang citation for "cigarette."

7. Rhody31

Suspended at least ... but firing should be considered given his past history.
    If he said this on a major network, this would be a major story. If he uses the word to mean what you say, how come he didn't use it during the tourney?
    I've read the definition. It's a chiefly british word, according to dictionary.com. We are not in Great Britian. In the US, it's an offensive phrase. And when has Packer ever shown a use of old british phrases?

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I don't know Rhody - why didn't he use the word "zygospore" or "hydroponic" or "prolix?" That's a non-question.

I'm not defending Packer, Rhody. I'm defending language.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

But don't you see, jg, using the language in proper context can still be grounds for punishment in the eyes of the ignorant and intolerant.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I'm not sure I'd go to the mat with dictionary.com, Rhody; nor would I rest my case on the fact that an unfamiliar phrase strikes your ear wrong.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

As Boom said, "fagged out" is a pretty common British term for being tired.

I can't stand Packer, but if he's disciplined for this it would be crazy.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think we should frag Rhody for even suggesting this treatment of poor
    Billy.

Draft saved Draft deleted