1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Billy Packer Finally be suspended ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rhody31, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

for this?

I didn't see a thread on this, which is a whole new Packer issue and, quite frankly, I'm shocked this in't getting more press.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

That's because it happened on Charlie Rose, a late-night PBS show.

Public Access shows in small towns have more viewers than Charlie Rose.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

This was Packer's usage:

He can't be stupid enough, however, not to know what most people would think.

4. Rhody31

That's not an original definition. It's been discussed on the radio here and some talked about it being a british phrase. Out.com interview Amechi and he said he'd never heard of it.

Any definition you read online isn't going to be an original definition.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think Packer is wrong. Charlie Rose is indefatigable.

Anyway, he could just as easily be using fag out as wimp out.

6. Rhody31

Sure, and when some owner isnt paying a player enough, you could say he's jewing him.

7. chester

chester Member

Actually, that's the definition as listed in Webster's Dictionary (the print version). And it does list it as having British roots.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I didn't say it was right. I just think Packer would more likely be using fag as a euphemism for wimp.

9. chester

chester Member

No it doesn't.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The Eminem defense.

11. Rhody31

And as said on the radio around here, if Packer was using it to mean "tired out," how come he never said that Greg Oden was fagged out in the title game?

Bottom line - this should earn the man some sort of punishment. Had he used the wod niggardly, he's fired (it's got an acceptable definition, look it up); Steve Lyons got fired for much less than this.

12. chester

chester Member

I wasn't saying it was a word I'd use at all, or that it was right. I was just saying the definition given was an original and accurate one.

Draft saved Draft deleted