1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Barack Obama replace Joe Biden as VP?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Sep 9, 2011.

?

The polls may say that a change to the ticket has to be made. If Obama does replace Amtrak Joe - who

1. No change will be made - Obama / Biden is winning the future

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Obama adds Hillary to add gravitas and prevent her running against him

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. Jon Huntsman

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Other (curious who you think would be best on the ticket)

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. Mini-Ditka (because regaular sized Ditka would have to be on the top of the ticket)

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

But does it *seem* overwhelming?

2. Crash

Crash Active Member

You dizzy yet?

DADT is the most recent gay rights-related vote. We can go back to hate crimes legislation if you'd like, where 18 Republicans voted yea. I'm not that good at math, but I'm pretty sure that 64 > 18 > 15 > 5. Which means your premise is still total bullshit.

3. In 1950 Harry Truman created the Uniform Code of Military Justice which set up the rules for discharge of homosexuals.

I would agree that Harry Truman would probably feel more at home in the modern Republican Party than the Democratic Party but not for reasons have to do with treatment of homosexuals.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There should be a constitutional amendment setting an age eligibility limit of 65 for VPOTUS.

The only constitutional function of the office is to take over if the president dies or is removed, so there is a pretty good functional reason that the VP should be younger and healthier.

If I ran one of the major parties, I would never nominate anybody over 60 on the national ticket. I want the major officeholders to have some personal stake in what the country is going to look like in 30 years.

5. Just curious if the embedded Democrat Jon Huntsman picks up any more votes after tonight's CNN Tea Party debate.

6. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

You can't say you are pro-life if you are for the death penalty.

7. Where there's smoke there's fire

http://p.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside-politics/2011/oct/13/speculation-about-biden-annoys-white-house/

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Love the Washington Times for inside beltway stuff.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Where's the smoke?

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Actually, the VP's primary constitutional function is to preside over the Senate. In fact, he casts the deciding vote in any tie. While that has become a minor part of his actual role -- these days he's more a presidential advisor whose Senate duties are for the most part ceremonial -- he does actually have a job spelled out in the Constitution.

http://www.senate.gov/general/Features/Part_1_VP.htm

Section 3

The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State, chosen by the Legislature thereof, for six Years; and each Senator shall have one Vote.

Immediately after they shall be assembled in Consequence of the first Election, they shall be divided as equally as may be into three Classes. The Seats of the Senators of the first Class shall be vacated at the Expiration of the second Year, of the second Class at the Expiration of the fourth Year, and of the third Class at the Expiration of the sixth Year, so that one third may be chosen every second Year; and if Vacancies happen by Resignation, or otherwise, during the Recess of the Legislature of any State, the Executive thereof may make temporary Appointments until the next Meeting of the Legislature, which shall then fill such Vacancies.

No Person shall be a Senator who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty Years, and been nine Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State for which he shall be chosen.

The Vice President of the United States shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no Vote, unless they be equally divided.

The Senate shall chuse their other Officers, and also a President pro tempore, in the Absence of the Vice President, or when he shall exercise the Office of President of the United States.

Class dismissed.

11. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Has anyone ever really cast a vote for a presidential ticket solely based on who was the VP nominee?

Since FDR, the only person to to drop their VP from the ticket was Ford.

12. printdust

printdust New Member

I still think he ought to strengthen his base and ask Bill Ayers to be his running mate. That's the key to victory, right? Espouse your left ideas because, as many of you said four years ago, America was embracing liberalism when it elected this man, not reacting to a implosion of the economy.

Draft saved Draft deleted