1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Barack Obama replace Joe Biden as VP?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Sep 9, 2011.

?

The polls may say that a change to the ticket has to be made. If Obama does replace Amtrak Joe - who

1. No change will be made - Obama / Biden is winning the future

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Obama adds Hillary to add gravitas and prevent her running against him

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. Jon Huntsman

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Other (curious who you think would be best on the ticket)

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. Mini-Ditka (because regaular sized Ditka would have to be on the top of the ticket)

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I actually laughed out loud at this.

2. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

ditto

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Actually I just looked it up: The nominee has to be confirmed by both houses of Congress.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Ford never dumped Rockefeller as veep. He simply added Bob Dole on to the ticket in '76. So Biden doesn't need to step down, he can simply opt out of running for a second term.

I don't think it will happen. There isn't anyone out there that would be a net gain for Obama once you factor in all the "crisis-mode" BS. Throw in the fact that the 2012 election is going to be decided in Big 10 country and I can't think of another possibility that would help the ticket more than Biden - there are no popular Dem governors out that way. Mark Dayton isn't going to inspire anyone.

I do think it might have been a bigger possibility if Obama's numbers were better and he wanted to use the slot to give a push to a possible successor.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I know he CAN put someone else on the ticket and let Biden serve out his term.

I just don't think he'd be well-advised to do that.

6. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Huntsman is currently leading the voting. That sure would be interesting.

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

joe biden is VP? who knew?

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think Biden is really the least of Obama's worries. I'm not aware of any hatred of Biden by the American electorate, like Cheney was. And Bush managed to get re-elected in spite of Darth.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't think Biden's stepping down willingly or Obama would replace him unless Biden chose not to run as vice president again.

I don't think Hillary would accept the nod as veep after serving as Secretary of State. The other person I'd get behind as Vice President also wouldn't want the job (Robert Gates).

If Obama has to look elsewhere, I'm thinking he's screwed. Unless Bumbling Rick Perry or Batshit Bachmann becomes the Republican nominee.

10. The people who were bothered by Cheney or who thought of him as Darth Vader NEVER were going to vote for him anyway. It should be recalled that Cheney DESTROYED both Lieberman and John Edwards in his VP debates and his presence may have swung some independents. If Kerry had selected Hillary as VP he would have won in 2004.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Chaney absolutely destroyed Edwards in '04.

Of course, it's easier to win a debate when you're allowed to choose your own facts.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The part that killed me about the '04 Veep debate was when Cheney was asked about his lesbian daughter and got all huffy in giving a 'no comment'. Edwards just let it pass, rather than asking him why he was against his own daughter's freedom to marry who she chose.

Draft saved Draft deleted