1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Barack Obama replace Joe Biden as VP?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Sep 9, 2011.

The polls may say that a change to the ticket has to be made. If Obama does replace Amtrak Joe - who

1. No change will be made - Obama / Biden is winning the future

12 vote(s)
  2. Obama adds Hillary to add gravitas and prevent her running against him

4 vote(s)
  3. Jon Huntsman

5 vote(s)
  4. Other (curious who you think would be best on the ticket)

1 vote(s)
  5. Mini-Ditka (because regaular sized Ditka would have to be on the top of the ticket)

11 vote(s)
  1. Would anyone be surprised if Joe Biden "steps down for health reasons" and Barack Obama had to add a new name to the ticket? Who do you think this new running mate would be?
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I definitely would answer no the thread title, I don't think Obama would be interested in becoming the vice president.
  3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He should, but he won't.

If he had Hillary and Biden swap places or pretend that Biden was sick or something and have him step down, I think he would win re-election easily.

As it is, I think it's about 50-50 as to whether he gets re-elected.

I think the presence of a Clinton on the ticket would prevent some of the moderate/independents who voted for Obama in 2008 from switching to Perry or Romney or whoever wins.
  4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Exactly what I thought.
  5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think Biden's in for the long haul, for better or worse. If a change was going to be made, it would've happened by now, to avoid a perception of desperation on Obama's part.
  6. Mizzougrad96

If Biden stepped down, it might not look totally desperate, but I agree that it's not going to happen.
  7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yep. Glad to know I'm not the only grammar dork.

Here's the problem with replacing Biden. You have to do one of two things: Either you nominate Hillary (or whoever) and leave Biden in office as a lame duck and an albatross around the neck of anyone he comes near (would YOU expect him to go quietly into that good night? Because I wouldn't), or he has to resign and Obama would have to nominate someone to replace him, who would then have to get Senate confirmation.

And we're landing a man on Mars before anyone he nominates gets Senate confirmation, especially Hillary.
  9. And yet you grammar police did not give a shit about a thread that supposedly was going to be about Derek Jeter running but did not show him running at all.
  10. Mizzougrad96

That's a good point about the confirmation, especially since the republicans aren't going to agree to anything that would put Obama in a better position entering the 2012 race.

Doing it the other way would take initiative and balls and we know from the last three years that Obama doesn't have either. :D
  11. I think because Hillary has already been confirmed by the Senate as Sec of State that she would not have to go through a confirmation process.

But interesting thought.
  12. I thought about making Peyton Manning a poll choice. Looks like he won't be doing anything the next few years anyway.
Draft saved Draft deleted