1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will an NFL lockout affect your job?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I know less about the NFL labor relations than I do the NBA. However, based on what I've read and heard, I don't *really* buy the NFL is going to miss any games. I think cooler heads will prevail.

I think the financial situation is substantially more dire in the NBA, which means I think a lockout of some length is a given.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'm sure it will not effect my former shop; major metros still require their nfl beat people. and there will be plenty of lockout-related stories for quite a while should this lockout take hold through the summer. plus there are plenty of other beats to help out on, feature/takeout pieces to work on, other assorted ways to get a 40-hour week out of people.

of course, if a paper is looking for an excuse to cut its staff this could be one. others more familiar with how smaller shops work would have better insight tham i.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not one bit. It will, however open up 1 3/4 pages in the Monday edition that normally gets devoted to NFL stories and summaries (agate).

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Mark, I don't know you or your place, but are you really sure they're going to give you that space and not take it right out of the paper until there's a settlement?

5. Simon

Simon Active Member

Our town hosts a training camp so it could not only affect what I do but it could really hurt the local economy. A lot of the budgets were made my idiot politicians who thought there would be for sure an NFL training camp. Even if the lockout goes just into September, we'll lose all of that money.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

I'll have to write about how it affects the kids that I cover who are headed to the NFL, but that's about it.

And since I don't really have much interest in the NFL, it won't affect me personally at all.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'd pay money to see the looks on some of those faces when they're told they're covering Podunk High vs. Bumfuck Prep that Friday night.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

As long as we have a Monday paper, space is not going to change: four pages, usually open. Doesn't matter if it's September with a million things happening or July with nothing happening. It's up to me as to what to fill it with. So no NFL = more space for other stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted