1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wilkes-Barre looking for a sports writer........again?

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Dec 12, 2006.

1. boots

boots New Member

This just in.
    The Wilkes-Barre Times-Leader, the leading newspaper in a competitive two-paper town, is seeking a well-rounded sports writer to complete its nine-person staff. We’re heavy on local coverage, including a competitive group of 21 high schools and three NCAA Division III colleges, as well as three popular minor league teams (the Pittsburgh Penguins’ AHL team, the New York Yankees’ Triple-A squad and a sixth-year arenafootball2 team. Applicants must have copy editing and layout experience and an eye for detail. We offer a competitive salary, along with an excellent benefits package. Those interested should send resume and clips to:
    Times Leader c/o Human Resources Department 15 North Main Street Wilkes-Barre, Pa. 18711

Fax: 570-831-7364

Email: jthomas@timesleader.com

We are an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace.

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

The Citizens' Voice was the one with the opening before.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

T-L also had an opening earlier this summer, filled by Derek Levarse.

4. Clever username

Touche, sir.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I don't know anything about the inner workings at the TL, but I do know that the fellow who bought the paper from McClatchy ushered out the publisher and editor and took on the jobs -- even though I don't think he has much editorial experience. Hopefully he's not handling too much day-to-day stuff in the newsroom.

6. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

How is the W-B (as I'm sure no one calls it) in terms of living? I know there is a danger of floods, but that's about all I know.

7. Clever username

It's a whole lot of meh.

8. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Meh sounds a lot like an upgrade to me. Are there chicks with full sets of teeth and no kids?

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Not to disparage those of you living in double-wides, but there is a lower percentage of trailer parks in W-B than other parts of the state. Scranton/W-B area is becoming a refuge for Philly/NYC folks; people commute by bus (2 hours each way!) to NYC every day from Scranton, and there is talk of eventual train service into NYC/Hoboken.

10. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

You don't come into the W-B and walk away. [/lamarthomas]

11. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

For those interested, sources close to Moland Spring confirm that this was Lisa Sokolowski's old job. She is moving over to features, writing for the fresh section as well as the guide. She has worked at the Times Leader since July of last year.

12. dmurph003

dmurph003 Member

Check out the opening credits of The Office.

No, really. It's a pretty accurate depiction of the area.

It's a respectable small city now, at least in terms of size, but it still has a lot of small-town feel to it. I grew up 30 minutes away. You are right in the heart of ski country, but also two hours from both New York and Philly.

It is very blue collar, but there are two respectable colleges there (Kings and Univ. of Scranton), so there is a decent amount for a person in there 20's to do.

High school wise, it has produced some good athletes -- Bobby Sura and Rocket Ismail are two of the more notable ones -- but it isn't anything like metro-Pittsburgh or metro-Philly. Phillies Triple-A Team, the Red Barons, and a minor league hockey team play there. Also there is an arena that hosts concerts.

I don't know much about the paper. But as far as the area goes, I'd reccomend it (As long as you didn't grow up there).

Draft saved Draft deleted