1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wilfred on FX

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Catching up with my DVR. Probably should work today, but dammit, when you only have 3 1/2 months left to work, you should spend as much of the day as you damn well please.

So, I watched the premiere of Wilfred from last week. Absolutely hilarious. Might be the best comedy I've watched all year.

Looks like it's adapted from a British show. Anybody ever catch that?

2. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I've got it Tivo'd and can't wait to watch it finally. My favorite, FAVORITE, thing on any TV show or movie is a talking dog. I have no idea why. And not cartoons, either. Now there's a whole show about a talking dog. This is going to be gold.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Haven't seen it, but the promo with him peeing on a tree and singing the line "This land is my land" over and over had me chuckling for a good minute.

4. T2

T2 Member

It's adapted from an Australian show (16 episodes shot on 16mm film). The same Aussie actor plays Wilfred in the American version.

5. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Just watched the first four episodes on the DVR. Funny stuff. Definitely worth watching. I'd like to see more jokes about the guy in the dogsuit doing dog-like things, like when he first met Elijah Wood and stood in front of the couching making circles before he sat down.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Funny, but not 'OMG WTF LOL'. I am DVRing it, but sort of just get through it, it's not must-see-TV for me.

7. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

They listened to you last week with the rug and peanut butter stuff. One of the funniest episodes so far.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

i posted on the 'louie' thread that 'wilfred' had yet to impress me. this thread feature such powerful endorsements i suppose i should keep paying attention. maybe i need to dvr it so i can check it out when i'm fresher. it certainly won't kill me to give it another 30 minutes of my precious time. ::)

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I like the show, but I wonder about its staying power. It definitely seems like something that should only go a season or two, otherwise it'll start to get stretched. How many ways can you have a guy acting like a dog? Still, it fights in perfectly with the other FX shows in that time slot - Always Sunny, Archer, The League, etc. Crude humor, but surprisingly funny and intelligent in its crudeness.

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I take this back...I now realize after some jokes I made at work tonight...that I am a 100% total perv whose sense of humor is so twisted that "dirty funny" shows like Wilfred don't shock/make me laugh.

...and that my co-workers do not share in my humor...and I need to keep my mouth shut more.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This show is now about six episodes in, and holy shit is it great. The episode tonight, where Wilfred is cheating on his stuffed bear with the stuffed giraffe, had me freaking rolling.
    Wasn't sure about the show at first. I couldn't tell if I was laughing at the actual jokes or the sheer absurdity of a 6-foot-4 Australian guy in a dog costume.
    It's the jokes. It's definitely the jokes.
    Awesome, awesome show.

12. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

I've been meaning to catch up from the beginning on On Demand, but finally caught the show tonight for the first time. Excellent episode to come in on, I think. It was fantastic.

Draft saved Draft deleted