1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wildest Baseball Game EVER

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Had 2 of the wildest baseball games ever yesterday......

2 JUCO Conference Teams

We were up 7-2, 1 out in the 7th (our conference, we play 2 7-inning games)

Runner at first, HOME ump calls a balk, on a pick-off play where the kid at first was out by a foot on a perfect throw

Coach comes out, asked for an explanation, says when the pitcher steps off the rubber to go to a base, pitcher has to gain ground to the base he throws to......first of all, how does the home plate umpire tell that, second of all, is the pitcher gonna throw an off-balance 82 MPH strike to first......coach never raises his voice, and the mildest word out of his mouth was damn.......and gets the gate.......our conference, you get tossed, you are suspended for one game.

SO......GAME 2--First 3 innings goes as fast and as smooth as you can imagine.

UNTIL

3rd inning--Kid from their team gets hit......Kid from our team gets hit......Different kid from our team gets hit again----Warnings issued against both teams......

Our starter goes into the 5th before getting pulled........one reliever comes in, gets the guy he was called in for....new reliever in.....3rd PITCH---plunks a kid on the wrist----gets tossed......(by rule, if the player is tossed, so is the coach)---player leaves, and the coach is still on the field, (and keep in mind, the coach knows he is gone, but neither one of the umpires have the stones to tell him he is gone).....4 minutes later, they finally tell the coach who has been very calm the entire time that he is gone.............AND THEN----We reach DefCon 5---Coach chucks his hat, chucks his Oakleys, chucks the lineup card.....makes Lou Piniella look like an amateur---funniest moment came when he called the vertically challenged umpire "a fucking midget"---priceless---

SO>...After that whole mess---kid from their team in the bottom of 5, gets rung up on a 3-2 fastball that was 4 inches off the outside edge with 2 outs and the bases full in a one-run game......Takes his helmet off, and does his best body slam of the helmet.......spikes it 15 feet in the air.....and he is tossed........Next half inning, kid has a curveball slip out of his hand, plunks one of our kids in the head.....kid gets tossed, and the umps finally decide to toss their coach as well........So, after all of that carnage, we go to the bottom of the 7th----we bring in another one of our relievers---Plunks a kid on the shoulder----but they don't eject him----other coach gets pissed, but not tossed----we win 9-8.

3hr. 10 minute 7-inning game, after the first 3 innings took about 17 minutes.

6 ejections in the second game alone.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I think he does radio for them? I forget everyone's backstory.

My wildest game was a D-I college conference tournament game in a high school park with a 30-mph wind blowing out and both teams on their third pitcher. Final score: 24-21.

4. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

As one national sports talk radio jock (to be unnamed) once said, "If you're a college baseball pitcher, and you're ERA is under 10, you're pretty good."

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

My juco coach was tossed from a game once and we had no other form of supervision there (our assistant couldn't make the trip for some reason).

It was weird. Our shortstop was designated in charge, but we basically swung away. We had a kid run out to the van and talk to the coach occasionally, who was watching from the parking lot. All that came of that was the coach telling us who the next pitcher should be when the starter got tired.

It was one of the most bizarre experiences of my athletic career.

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

correct.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

No college baseball experience is complete without watching the NMMI Broncos. Some days they're fine, sure, but other days ...

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I saw a high school baseball game last week.. final score: 7-0. Winning team had 1 hit. Winning pitcher threw a no-hitter. The only thing that kept him from a perfect game was a passed ball on strike three to the first batter in the third inning.

Not as wild as six ejections in a juco game... but baseball never ceases to amaze.

9. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Neither does softball. Travelball game last year. These are both under 18 teams. My daughters team is in the field with two on. Batter hits a ground ball to short...throw to first and they get the out. First baseman rolls the ball to the mound, and everybody heads for their respective dugouts. Umpires look at each other, look at their indicators and home plate blue says "I guess that's three".

Except it wasn't. It was two.

Both benches seemed to realize it at the same time. On neither side did they make it completely to the dugout. My daughters team runs back on the field with the fastest of them trying to get to the pitchers mound to get the ball. Other team races back on the field and for some reason feels that they must retrace their steps to their bases. (which they probably are supposed to do by rule). So they are running the bases backwards. Our kids get the ball and make a play at second for what everybody thinks is the last out of the inning. But the umpires rule that since they said "that's three" even though they both knew it wasn't, we were just going to pretend nothing had happened and go back to second and third with two outs. Coaches were scratching their heads, parents were trying to figure out what happened so they could yell at the umpires, and the kids could not stop laughing about the fact that with nine 17-18 year olds on the field, 3 on offense, 3 coaches on each bench, and 2 scorekeepers, it was not possible to find someone who could count to 3.

The very next day, a runner from another team ran off the base after the second out, heading for the dugout. Having just learned the day before to listen for an umpire, our team made the putout. One of the umpires was from the game the day before and he said they decided they weren't saying anything until both teams were in the dugout.

The story still makes the team laugh.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

You should have pulled a page from that Cincy hoops broadcaster and gotten your ass tossed.

"This ump has lost control of the game! He's a travesty and a sham and a mockery! He's a travashamockery! That's right! I'm talking to you! Get off your knees you're blowing the game! I'd rather drive with Stevie Wonder than you! I'm outta here? Fuck you buddy I'm not going anywhere! You're outta here! You're an embarrassment! Don't touch me I'll kill you I'll fucking strangle..."

*technical difficulties music plays*

Draft saved Draft deleted