1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wildcat: Up or down?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gator, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I saw a play last night where the QB appeared to be looking to the sideline for a signal, and behind him the tailback took the snap and ran for a first down. Pretty sneaky.

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Or were they running the Pretty Sneaky?

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

This is a good point. The noun is a proper noun, and now it exists as a common noun. And speaking of Coke, here's an example of how a proper noun is often used as a common noun. Would you write:

"Coke-bottle glasses" or "coke-bottle glasses?"

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Don't say that Michael.

I was at a game in Greenwich (GREEN-witch), NY, last week and they called it the "WitchCat."

Yeah, the Greenwich Witches.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Oh, last week was the first time I saw it. I used Wildcat, and the desj made it lower-case.

I agree with those that say it's a proper name.

6. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Jacquizz Rodgers referred to Oregon State's version as the Wild Beaver earlier this week...

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Thank goodness South Carolina doesn't run it.

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Wildcock does in Beavers

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Still makes me smile....

10. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I think it should be upper case because it's named for a team that is anecdotally considered to be the first to mainstream it (Kansas State Wildcats)

11. Amen, Joe. I refuse to call it the wildcat. I've seen the exact same offense run against us in high school. It's the single wing.

Draft saved Draft deleted