1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wild Thing, you make my ears ring.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Mar 11, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If this is a DB, so what. Bastard deserves it for Joe Carter's dinger...

Mitch Williams Takes His Grade School Basketball Very Seriously
    Posted Mar 11th 2008 1:08PM by Tom Fornelli
    Filed under: Philadelphia, Phillies, Cubs, MLB Gossip, The Word

Years after his baseball career ended, former Major League closer Mitch "Wild Thing" Williams is still showing that intensity that helped him rack up 192 saves in his 11-year career. Unfortunately, he's choosing to do so at his daughter's 5th grade basketball game.

From Dan Gross at the Philadelphia Daily News, we get this.
    The former Phillies hurler cursed at a female referee who was calling a basketball game in which his daughter, a fifth-grader, was playing for St. Mary of the Lakes against Our Lady of Good Counsel.

Williams, who now sells his own brand of salsa and who later this month starts hosting a Phillies pre-game show on The Big Talker 1210 AM, told us yesterday that he was sorry for using the f-word while yelling at the ref. "I'm emotional when it comes to my kids. What I saw happening was completely unfair," Williams said, referring to his daughter's team being fouled repeatedly with a lack of calls from the refs.
    That's no way to act in front of our lady of good counsel! Maybe Mitch should have undertaken some of that good counsel before lashing out at the female referee.

You see, Mitch, I hate to break it to you, but there are generally going to be a lot of fouls that go uncalled in a grade school girls basketball game. I know it's hard to believe that 10-year old girls haven't mastered the art of defense without hacking once in a while, but it's just one of those rules of life that we have to deal with.

It's not easy, I know, but if we all stick together, I think we'll get through it.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/03/11/mitch-williams-takes-his-grade-school-basketball-very-seriously/?ncid=NWS00010000000001

2. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

I'm surprised it's safe for him to live within a 50 mile radius of Philadelphia. Lord knows how many times I've heard teammates issue drunken death threats against the man... 10 years after the fact.

Draft saved Draft deleted