1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wild beat writer, St. Paul, MN

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

escription:

Position Summary: Lead reporter covering the Minnesota Wild hockey team. Duties include but are not limited to breaking news, game stories, notebooks, features, enterprise, investigative, podcasts, blogs, social networking and helping out on other beats/GA when necessary.

Major Functions: 1. Take the lead role in covering all aspects of the Wild, with a heavy emphasis on regularly breaking news and providing distinctive, high-impact enterprise. 2. First and foremost, be first and accurate and professional with breaking news concerning the team. 3. Post all developments online first, as quickly as possible. 4. Work with TwinCities.com in providing unique content, including blogs, social networking, podcasts and video. 5. Produce regular enterprise stories, making certain to help plan for graphics, photos, charts and other display elements. 6. Be creative, original and imaginative, producing work that is smart and unique in the marketplace. 7. Take initiative, showing ability to anticipate and plan ahead for coverage. 8. Maintain strong, regular communication with other reporters on and off the beat and with editors so that story ideas can be executed quickly and efficiently and there is no overlap. 9. Develop sources in and around the team and the league who can provide inside information on the Wild. 10. Meet deadlines and assigned story lengths. 11. Contribute interpretation or analysis to facts and news events. 12. Work with only general supervision. 13 Conduct investigative interviews. 14. Have the ability to follow a story and develop it. 15. Use independent judgment and direction.

Education: A four-year college degree is preferred.

Experience: In most cases, the job requires a daily deadline experience covering major professional or major college sports, preferably the National Hockey League. An intense knowledge of the NHL is required.

To apply: Send resume, cover letter, 5-7 examples of your work, and references to Mike Bass at mbass@pioneerpress.com.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm kind of a tame beat writer, so I guess I don't have a chance at this one.

3. FusilliJerry

FusilliJerry Member

Where's the line that says successful applicants will have a working knowledge of collective bargaining? Hockey related revenue familiarity a plus.

4. Simon

Simon Active Member

This beat writer will be going head to head with one of the best hockey beat writers out there, Michael Russo. He often breaks national NHL news and owns the Minnesota Wild beat, I assume.

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Women need not apply.

http://www.ejc.net/media_news/sport_reporters_allege_sexual_discrimination

6. A story per day?

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

At some very large papers, at least until the web got huge, reporters wouldn't necessarily write every day. They'd spend time reporting.

Now with the web, I would think most reporters would be producing at least something every day, even if it is a short blog post, while they are reporting on things.

Of course, at small papers, reporters write 2, 3, 4, stories a day, blog, tweet, shoot video, take pics, and clean the bathrooms.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

One place I worked, news side reporters had a two-story per day quota.

I didn't think that was a great idea, as reporters got too focused on quantity vs. quality and we rarely had any sort of in-depth reporting.

9. What happened as a result of the allegations?

10. kyleocker

kyleocker New Member

Ditto, if I end the day with less than five stories, there is something up. I'll write about stories, but if there's a breaking news event, I'm out the door taking pictures, video, reporting, etc. Oh, my office rotates by departments on cleaning. Editorial does the third week of the month.

Being asked to write a story per day is not discrimination. And maybe those other reporters are assigned to more "complicated" or assignments with more length. For instance, a one-per-day quota probably isn't going to work with someone working on a large investigative report. If that investigative reporter 'happens' to be male, then I guess that's good enough or a sexual discrimination lawsuit. push

11. It is discrimination if males don't have that requirement.

I also feel sorry your company is cheap.

12. kyleocker

kyleocker New Member

I'm just saying that the one story per day quote, which is 100 miles away from being too much to ask for anyway, maybe be applied to positions. And those positions may just happen to be female. And a position such as investigative reporter should and would be required to write less than a sports columnist/reporter would.

Now, on the falsifying time cards and what not, no defense for that if that is really the case.

[Edit because I forgot] And there is a difference between living within means and being cheap.

Draft saved Draft deleted