1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wilco sells out to Corporate America

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spinning27, Jul 21, 2007.

1. i second the previous post pretty much word for word, although I would add Still Feel Gone to Anodyne and Trace

Still Be Around may be the greatest song ever written

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Does anyone other than Jim DeRogatis still call bands sellouts? It's not like being a musician gives you a pension plan and lifetime health insurance. Plus, getting your music heard is extremely difficult. No one under the age of 10 in my house just turns on a radio to see what's on. If you're doing the music just for art's sake, then presumably you have a day job. Or a patron. Perhaps I've gotten through the strange where I take it personally that some musician would "ruin" my memory or image by selling a song for a commercial.

Just like what the earlier poster said about VW and Nick Drake, some advertisers are far more daring than radio ever will be. I was stunned to hear Brian Eno's "The Big Ship" used in a BMW commercial, not because I thought Eno was some sellout, but because I was impressed with whoever had the musical gourmand chops to dig up that song.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Am i wrong to think Moby sort of set the market here with what he did in terms of licensing songs off Play?

4. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

I thought the Rubicon was crossed when Michael Jackson sold the Beatles' "Revolution" to Nike in the late 1980s.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Yes, it was strange to hear (dead) Lennon selling sneakers.

6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

A pox on Michael Jackson for selling those songs.

I think it's great some ad people have good enough musical taste they want to use these songs in commercials, and maybe help bands they like make some money.
    Hell, the guys in Wilco have wives, kids, mortgages.

You can't make a revolution if you have to make a living. Was it Jerry Rubin who said that?

As far as the Son Volt vs. Wilco, I used to be more of a Son Volt guy at first. Straightways was a tremendous album, and I listened to it way more than Being There which came out at the same time. But Wilco has passed them up. And SBS is growing on me trememdously. Summertetth still may be my fave, followed by YHF.

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

SBS is a grower. still my least favorite wilco

also, i got into the kings of leon because of a vw commercial (yeah, i'm amazed i wasn't into that before, but you know)

8. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Yes, when Wilco released Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and Jay Farrar was entering into his Terroir Blues phase (which is still a very good album), Tweedy's post-Tupelo body of work was superior.

But the last few years, I think Farrar has caught up in a major way. In the time it took for Wilco to put out its worst album to date, Son Volt has released two really good ones.

9. HoopsMcCann

i liked the first half of okemah, but after that -- booring. bought it when it came out. listened to it a lot for two weeks (well, the first half of it) had no desire since

i know how people love to jerk off on trace, but i'll take everything but sbs over it

10. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I was willing to consider your argument until the last part. Sorry Hoops, but Trace is a masterpiece.

11. i'll try to ignore the offensive part of Mr. McCann's post and just agree with Mr. Spinning

Trace is a masterpiece

12. HoopsMcCann

and the circle jerk continues

Draft saved Draft deleted