1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wilco sells out to Corporate America

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spinning27, Jul 21, 2007.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Is anybody else slightly bothered that Wilco has sold its soul to Volkswagen? They are good commercials -- they're airing like every break during the British Open coverage this morning -- but isn't this the band that once broke a record deal simply out of spite for the corporate suits? Now, they're the soundtrack for mediocre European cars? I don't get it.

2. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

You know, I think I saw that ad the other day, heard the song and was like "Is that Jeff Tweedy? No, couldn't be."
    Too bad.
    I'd note that, a few years ago, the State of Illinois used 'War on War' in some tourism commercial. Is selling out to Rod Blagojevich that much worse than selling out to a German carmaker?

3. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Actually, there's a series of four or five VW commercials, and each one is based on a different song from the new Wilco album, "Sky Blue Sky"

4. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I have no problem. It's not like they have chance in hell of getting on the radio these days, so how is anyone going to get to hear them? I'd love to for Wilco to be as successful as some of these shitty medicore acts Clear Channel mass markets to the masses.

Good for them to try and get their music out there. I got over my youthful "sellout" self-righteouness years ago.

Plus, the commercials are pretty good.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

How dare they try and make money off their music, which otherwise has only a cultish following among primarily music snobs.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with it at all, especially since Tweedy has basically given his blessing to anyone interested to steal their music off the web. He wants the music to be heard, knows corporate radio won't play it, and figures why not put it out there any way possible? And it's not like the broke out of a record deal to spite anyone; Reprise records basically refused to release YHF. The only way to get the record heard was to buy it back and sell it to someone else ... which turned out to be just another division of Warner Music.

Here is their explanation from their web site for those up in arms:

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Game, set and match.

I don't get it when people rag on Pearl Jam about deliberately selling fewer albums and I don't get it when people rag on bands like Wilco for trying to make more money.

I get pretty disgusted when anti-capitalist anthems from the 1960's are recycled into jingles, and I get perplexed when something like Iggy Pop's Lust for Life shows up on a commercial, but I can't fault Wilco here.

8. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I have no problem with people wanting to make money off their music. But the idea that Wilco never made money is simply untrue.

It does strike me as odd, however, that they put out a very mediocre album that is now showing up in pop culture. Their music used to be able to stand on its own.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Maybe if people stopped stealing music then Wilco wouldn't have to sell their product to commercials.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Thanks for stopping by, Lars.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

If by "people" you mean record companies, then yes, we agree.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

VW performed a public service a few years back by letting the world know about Nick Drake through a commercial.
    I thought the Wilco VW commercials have been very good. I, as an apparent music snob, don't think that the exposure is a bad thing. If more people listen, that's fine with me.
    Should I slam Son Volt for doing a cover of that Beatles song for the soccer commercial?
    Nope.
    Good music doesn't have to be a secret.

Draft saved Draft deleted