1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

wilco fans -- pbs alert

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HoopsMcCann, Nov 3, 2007.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

wilco on austin city limits tonight on pbs. it's a new episode. looking forward to it, even though it will likely be mostly sky blue sky stuff

2. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

sky blue sky is pretty darn good

3. HoopsMcCann

it's grown on me some, but still my least favorite wilco record -- it's almost as boring as a son volt record. almost.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I'll have to figure out when this show's on in Providence or Boston.
    I know during the ACL festival in September, they taped Lucinda Williams, Arcade Fire and four other acts. Those are supposed to show up on PBS around December or so.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

It just came on here.

Sorry Hoops, but I like Son Volt better. I'd gladly go see them with you again, though.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I really enjoy it when you tweak the Son Volt fans, hoops. Your line about "people jerking off to Trace" earlier this year was an SportsJournalists.com keeper.

7. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Hoops hates the NFL and Son Volt. Can I assume he's somewhere on the planet right now wearing a blazer, an ironic t-shirt, jeans and Chucks while sipping a microbrew ?

8. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I've never jerked off to Trace, but it's better than anything Jeff Tweedy has ever put out.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I don't think Hoops hates Son Volt. I suspect he likes Son Volt just fine. He just understands the truth: Tweedy has done much better work since he and Jay split. And people who believe otherwise are kidding themselves. It doesn't mean Jay's work sucks. It means what Wilco's done, on every album other than SBS, has been far superior.

10. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I TiVo'd that last night because I was at a Drivin 'N' Cryin show. Was the song mix heavily weighted with SBS stuff? Their show in NOLA last weekend had a lot of stuff of Being There, which is my fave.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

I believe that was the line that prompted me to respond, "Says the guy who probably has pictures of Jeff Tweedy hanging in his bathroom," to which Hoops replied, "What do you mean, probably?" Good times.

And since every Wilco thread has to have the poster's obligatory vote, I'll reiterate that while Wilco's body of work has been more extensive and Tweedy seems to have really flourished and grown as an artist on his own (Farrar hasn't), he and Wilco have never done anything that approaches Trace. (No, not Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, no matter how many pretentious critics say differently)

12. HoopsMcCann

'i am trying to break your heart' alone surpasses trace

Draft saved Draft deleted