1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wilbon v. Feinstein - What the Hell?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

This review always stands out when I think about Feinstein's later work.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/04/books/review/04nocera.html?_r=1

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Wow. What a brutal review. Good stuff.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That is a great column.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

i, too, am of john and wilbon's generation of scribes. both are friends. most, if not all, og us eventually move from being a "player's guy" to a "management" guy. it's just human nature. many of the athletes we covered in our 20s and 30s are retired and/or in management now. it's harder as you get older to bridge the gen gap with the athletes.

largely, the big-name columnists like wilbon can stay "hip" through their facetime on the tube. when columnists/journos get as big as john and mike, it gets harder and harder for them to speak to joe schmoe on the corner. see: lupica, mike.

they all seem to be getting by just fine, thanks. just have to keep themselves thick-skinned at all times.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes, but they don't keep themselves thick-skinned. Wilbon's response above is tissue thin.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

you are correct, in most cases. they can be a thin-skinned lot. in this case, however, i believe mike had reason to take offense -- you expect to take sling and arrows from your audience; it's more difficult to take when a colleague takes you to task. glass houses, etc.

it's just a low-blow delivered by a perceived friend. or at least a one-time friend or peer, imo.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes, but a thick-skinned response would be to say that he doesn't need to be suspended. You called him and gave him an earful, whatever.

But calling him Junior, saying you'll match your credentials with him and that you don't give a damn what he thinks all just scream that Feinstein really hit the target.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, "matching credentials" is really lame.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I'm picturing the business card scene in American Psycho.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

To be fair, Kornheiser refers to Feinstein only as Junior, the comments were made on Kornheiser's show, and even the person asking the question in the chat referred to Feinstein as Junior.

I'll cut Wilbon some slack. He was pissed, and understandably so. At the same time, I suspect on some level he's probably uncomfortable with his relationship with the people he covers, and knows it leaves him open to this type of criticism.

11. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Ah yes, the journalist pissing match. Great fun for us as journalists. Ultimately bad for all journalists.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

His response was very human and understandable. He just needed to edit himself and take the higher road.

Draft saved Draft deleted