1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wilbon to Redskins: SOFT

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Oct 30, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Re: Wilbon to Redskins: PUSSY

Yeah, this is an appropriate thread title. ::)

3. heyabbott

Don't let your Mommy in your room when you are on the internet

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Wilbon is right, though.

This was discussed on the NFL Week 8 thread.

5. heyabbott

Wilbon still writes for The Post, and though he writes as much a national column as a local one, this is pretty strong for a journalist of his stature to write of his hometown team.
    BTW check out the Washington Post today. Michael Wilbon has TWO seperate columns in the same sports section. An NBA preview column and the Redskins column. Both pretty darn good.

6. I have never seen a team do what the Patriots have done over the past couple of weeks, Not the 49'ers or the Dolphins or the '84 Bears or the Steelers. Not going for it on 4th-and-two with a 35-point lead and throwing long down the sidelines.
    It's all fun until the QB gets a helmet in the knee.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He spoke of the Redskins unwillingness to hit back so to speak on PTI yesterday.

I enjoy listening to him and reading what he writes. His take normally is pretty solid.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

excellent take by my man mike. a player taking a shot at brady under these circumstances appears the only thing that will get belicheat's attention.

i'm not advocating going for his knees. just a hard hit to the chest or back would do.

of course, the wrath of commish goodell would be risked. i'm sure danny snyder -- or any owner -- would gladly find a way to foot the bill.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I've always been of the opinion that there is no such thing as "running up the score" in either the NFL or the elite ranks of Division I football. Especially the NFL though, where everyone is being paid giant sums of money and everyone plays with the same salary restrictions. If this continues, we're going to see an awful lot of debate soon about whether the Patriots are running up the score on teams and whether that constitutes winning with class, but to me, those are two different things. If you're taunting and jumping around like a moron, mocking the other team for their shittiness, that's one thing. But the Patriots are a machine right now. An ass-kicking, powerful, well-oiled machine. They go about their business methodically and efficiently. They don't taunt you or mock you. They just kick your ass. Frankly, I enjoyed seeing them fuck up the Skins.

I do get Wilbon's point, although it's a difficult one to parse. He's not advocating someone deliver a cheap shot to Brady, which is what some people here seem to wish would happen because they loathe Belichek so. He's advocating that the local football team have some pride and fight back. Gibbs didn't seem to have a problem with what happened in the game, and said so in the press conference afterward. If your team quits and is poorly prepared, you deserve to get hammered. Who is disrespecting the game in that scenario, the Pats or the Skins?

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Actually, he is advocating that. And correctly, I might add.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

He's certainly right about one thing, this would not have been tolerated in the days of Butkus and Lambert, at least not without serious consequences. Those guys would've killed Brady, and if they couldn't get to him, just might've gone to the sideline and belted Belichek directly.

That said, I like what the Pats are doing. Haven't seen this kind of bravado and sheer malice from an NFL team since the 85 Bears. Yeah it is classless and unsportsmanlike, but its also making this NFL season a lot more interesting.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Why is it classless though? In business or in the law, do you let up when your competition isn't as good?

It would be one thing if the Pats were beating the Redskins 52-7, then running to midfield and stomping on their logo. They're not. They're just whipping team's asses.

Draft saved Draft deleted