1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wilbon reporting on Tony Romo-Jessica Simpson

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dignan, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Dignan

Dignan Guest

I preface this post by saying I am a Michael Wilbon fan.

But his "report" that Tony Romo and Jessica Simpson were "canoodling" in Cancun -- in the middle of his Redskins-Seahawks column -- was a little bizarre. And there is no attribution whatsoever. Just take Michael's word for it, folks. What this had to do with the game, I have no idea.

(I also did a google search for Romo, Simpson and Cancun, and found nothing but references to Wilbon's column.)

And in the following paragraph, Wilbon uses the phrase "yeah, doggie." Um, wonder what that is a reference to.

Bizarre, is all.

EDIT to add link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/05/AR2008010502618.html
  2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

And those were just the first two results that popped up for me.

That being said, the point of that part, to me, was the Redskins were picking up momentum (their possible fifth straight win) while Dallas' QB (and TE apparently) didn't care enough to even be in the country to learn and all that.

It wasn't great, but it wasn't "bizarre."
  3. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Guess I should have done another search before posting, but the "Yeah, doggie" sentence is a reference to what?
  4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

It's not a reference to anything. It's like a "now it's on" exclamation.
  5. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Yeah, if you're talking about Tony and Jessica. I laughed when I read the line, but I'm a little shocked Wilbon would use sexual imagery.

I've heard people say yeah, dog. But yeah, doggie -- right after the Romo-Simpson thing? Come on.
  6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Yeah, I didn't read it that way at all. I just think you're an oddball.
  7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Tony Romo is a fuckin stud.
  8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

how'd that work for them?

i guess the 21-point loss means sean taylor wanted them to lose
  9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I was writing about the point in the column at which he injected the Romo-Simpson stuff.
  10. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Something about the word canoodling makes me want to vomit.
  11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

funny, but just reading the word canoodling made me kinda want to give you a hug.
  12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That's because they went to Cabo.
Draft saved Draft deleted