1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wilbon leaving Washington Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Nov 18, 2010.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

For bigger role at ESPN.

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowldc/wilbon-leaving-wapo_b25621

2. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Post sports section took another hit with this departure.

Depth used to be the Post's strength. Not so much anymore...

Only the best to Messr. Wilbon...

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I've read Wilbon for the better part of my adult life. Didn't always agree with him, but always respected his opinion. Also enjoyed his weekly online chats.

I'm surprised he lasted this long with the paper. Figured he'd leave long before now with all his TV work.

4. It was only a matter of time. Keep up the good work, Mike.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Further evidence, not that any was needed, that the one-time destination jobs in newspapers now are Triple-A stops on the way to better things.

What are the chances that the Post's next hire in sports will log 32 years there? Those days are done.

Also, I always applaud people who leave a job rather than hanging onto it and giving it second- (or third-) class status. More honest than double-dipping.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wilbon's been trying to leave the Post for years for honorable reasons. For years it was "Oh, it's OK that you'll be writing less. Oh, it's OK if you want to do PTI and a zillion other shows."

One of the true good guys in the business and one of the few of the elite level columnists who would actually travel to all the major events rather than watching from his couch.

Wilbon isn't the writer Plaschke and Posnanski are. But I remember hearing him described as the best columnist on deadline and I don't know if a nicer thing can be said about a writer.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Very happy for him.

Was thinking: we got so many requests for advice from young people starting out in the business. Wilbon is the kind of example we should be using. Don't just be good at one thing -- be good at all of them.

You must be able to:

Write newspaper-style features/columns.

Blog-style stuff.

Learn how to present well on television

Be able to give a good radio interview.

And, most importantly, show enthusiasm. I really believe this is Wilbon's greatest asset. He loves what he does, and it comes across. I strongly feel you cannot be great without loving what you do.

8. Mizzougrad96

If you talk to writers who have interned at the WP they'll all tell you how friendly, helpful and gracious Wilbon is.

Honestly, I don't think I've ever heard someone say a bad word about the guy, which in this business, is unheard of.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Mike would not remember me at all, for we only met a few times at Maryland games and at the Olympics, but he was always a tremendous mensch whenever I had conversations with him. I've never heard a story of him big-timing anyone. I can't say this for sure, but I suspect he hung on with the Post longer than he needed to, just because he loved newspapers. I'm very happy for his success.

10. Mizzougrad96

I heard he stayed because they basically begged him not to leave.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Shouldn't they be, though? The pay, honestly, is sickening in newspapers. Wilbon is an elite columnist at an elite, elite newspaper. He makes well, well into six figures. But for most of us - even reporters at major, major metros - the pay is a joke compared to the pay at the top level of most other professions.

When I wrote one of the first magazine pieces I ever wrote, I about fell off my couch when they told me it was going to be $500 for 800 words. Absolutely staggered.

12. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I used to routinely get $1 a word for magazine pieces in the late 1990s. Unless you're a really established writer or if we're talking about GQ or Esquire, I'm guessing you don't get close to that very often these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted