1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wilbon called out by a white guy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Jul 3, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Let me be clear about one thing, Boston fans would have turned on Bird too, if the Celts kept losing to Team Showtime. They would have booed Bird, booed Parrish and booed McHale as a bunch of losers, like Philly fans booed Schmidt

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Atlanta?

3. And the number of free agents falling all over themselves to play for the T-wolves would be?

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I realize that playing in Miami or Phoenix is more attractive than playing in a colder climate, but don't you think that weather is way below the quality of team and the $$$ in determining where a player goes? Otherwise how to explain free agents flocking to the Red Sox and Patriots?

5. SuperDeuce

SuperDeuce Member

First thing that came to mind on this topic was one of the opening scenes of The Departed, when DiCaprio's character says to Anthony Anderson's character, something along the lines of, "You're a black guy in Boston. You don't need any help being fucked."

That movie was awesome, by the way. And Scorsese's eyebrows freak me out just a little.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I was looking more at the team that is put on the floor, not the city itself. But Atlanta would be a decent choice. Oh, and the Knicks if they trade Lee for Artest.

7. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Ortiz is lucky to be loved now in Boston, a city that is not known for its embraceable arms for the bruthas. Go ask Jim Rice. He'll tell you all you need to know about that.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Bob Stanley (wild pitch in Game 6 to tie the game) = Bob Stanley Day when he retired
    Jim Rice (kicked serious ass in his career) = No Jim Rice Day when he retired.

9. They lost to Team Showtime two out of the three Finals they played.

10. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Are we talking about love of the fans or media.

I think we are arguing two different things here.

11. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

You're right. Rice was so wronged and is still so hurt that he took how many other jobs with the Red Sox and their TV station?

GIVE ME A BREAK!

12. I lived in Boston for my first six years out of college - moved only a year ago - and I can attest to the latent racism in the city. I mean, it's not like the KKK parades about Beacon Hill but the reality is the city is segregated more than any other big city I can think of. Go to a bar and you have a multitude of yuppies wearing J Crew khakis wiht oxfords tucked in and Red Sox hats on. Every single guy looks the same. Then a black person walks in, and you can sense the uneasyness.

What always kills me, is how defensive Boston peeps are about how the city isn't racist. Then they list off all these black athletes who were popular here, as if that really signifies anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted