1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wilbon called out by a white guy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Jul 3, 2007.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Forgeting someone. Ask Jim Rice.

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

If this showed up in another paper, then true it would get a bigger play, but since its in a smaller paper, it will go under the rug. I don't think it was constructed well enough to get big play, but yet again, more slapshod things have garned publicity. Although like Alma said earlier, the circulation size should not make the argument, it does make it a little more enticing. People would be more apt to respond if it was from the S-F Chronicle or Chicago Tribune than the Eagle Tribune. Chances are we are the only people seeing this besides those who get the paper.

3. I Like HD

I Like HD Member

Isn't the main reason Garnett didn't want to go to Boston because the Celtics ain't no good?

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I will say this... If Mike Wilbon said he was called a nigger inside or outside the Boston Garden, I will go to the bank with it having really happened.

5. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

I would agree. There is no issue with his credibility.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I dunno.

The Red Sox were the last team to break the color barrier. It took, what, 12 years?

I see, what 23 numbers retired and eight are of black players?

I do not have the time to look it up, but I have always heard an urban legend about there always needing to be 1,2 or 3 (edit) white players at all times on the Celtics. Does anyone want to look at team photos to verify?

And wasn't the white guy who got Buggin Out's Jordans dirty wearing a Bird jersey?

If we say Boston is a white town to play in, there must be a converse, right? Ying/Yang and all that. What cities would a white player not want to go to?

Detroit?
    Golden State?
    Portland?

7. There is another white problem Boston has with athletes who don't want to play in the city.
    It falls from the sky from November until March.

8. Hoopsfan23

Hoopsfan23 New Member

Wilbon is the man. This guy sucks.

9. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

That's funny considering this "little paper" is the one that brought down Alan Eagleson.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Have you ever been to Portland? Anywhere in the Northwest?
    According to the 2004 Census, Portland is 84.3% White.
    (And, have you ever been to Golden State? ;) )

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Boston has always struck me as a town where people were bigger fans of "over-achieving" white athletes, than black stars. The city does have a legacy of being hard on their best players with the exception of Larry Bird and Roger Clemens. Ted Williams, Pedro, Jim Rice etc. The perception is out there. It's up to Boston to fix it.

12. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I also find it funny that Boston is considered the biggest racist town of the north, yet David Ortiz is almost above Larry Bird in the love factor. Now maybe Ortiz is not African-American, but lord knows he ain't white. How racist is that?

Draft saved Draft deleted