1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wilbon called out by a white guy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I'm sorry, but he lost me at one of the last words in the article..."nincempoop". All I can say is ???

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

If some papers had written this, you would reply.
    To this one ... probably not.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I know very little about Boston or the area, so far be it from me to say either one of them are right or wrong.

But the columnist makes some arguments worth investigating.

Wilbon's "he's a Dominican" loophole is ridiculous.

Appgrad's statement is, too. The quality of an argument should not be determined by the circulation of the paper. It's either valid or it isn't.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

some very valid points made here. mike got into some stuff he clearly wasn't prepared for and stammered big-time. he would've been best off stiff-arming the topic instead of creating possible reasons for garnett snubbing boston. he obviously had no first-hand knowledge. :eek: :eek: :eek:

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call Burt's piece outstanding, but he raised some good points.
    I sincerely doubt ESPN or Wilbon will apologize.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I thought the word was "Nincowpoop"
    [​IMG]

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Someone in sports media from one part of the country citing racism in another part of the country? No way. I'll believe it when I see it.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Isn't the rap on Boston (deserved or not) that it is among the most racist of the Northern cities? Doesn't mean everyone is a racist or black people can't be loved.

10. Gee, Bill Burt is calling out Michael Wilbon on the grounds of public incoherence.
    I may fall down.

11. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

I like how he brushes off old racism stories by saying, "Weren't we over them?" Right, so because he lives in Boston and has heard tales of racism, that means they are no longer relevant. Sure Wilbon put his foot in his mouth. But this guy being an apologist for his city doesn't help his argument.
    Oh, he also uses "pithy" twice in the same column. Thesaurus, ya know?

12. Luis Tiant was the most beloved figure in Boston sports at exactly the same moment in history when the city was exploding in racial violence over desegregating its schools. So Wilbon's point about Latin players vis a vis black players is not entirely without merit.
    Plus, don't you think the fact that Dee Brown got thrown to the ground at gunpoint in a Boston suburb for the crime of "looking like" -- yeah, right -- a bank robber might have gotten around the league a little?

Draft saved Draft deleted