1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wikipedia blackout on January 18

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 17, 2012.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That's the $64,000 question.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

One letter means little. Tens of thousands of letters mean a lot. Emails are close to being worthless.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Which is why I ususally roll my eyes when somebody comes up with the idea of starting a petition about something at the grassroots level. They just don't understand that the support they will get simply won't faze people with the opposing opinion.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is one that Apple, Google and Microsoft are going to have a lot more success fighting than a million letter-writers.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If you include $64,000 when you write your Congressman, then - and only then - do they tend to notice.

6. Inky_Wretch

A close friend is a press secretary for a GOP Congressman. He sent this to me.

"Trust me people and lots of them are sharing their opinions! And for the record it is working...Looks like the legislation has been stopped in its tracks!"

7. LongTimeListener

And how effective would those opinions be if Google and the other Internet titans didn't share them?

8. Inky_Wretch

Not sure what you mean. He said it is all hands on deck in the office answering calls from constituents, not lobbyists.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

My Congressman spends all his time in The Washington Post circulation area. He doesn't care what I think.

10. LongTimeListener

What I mean is they could have 10 million calls coming in, but if Apple hadn't dropped its support of SOPA and Google and Microsoft hadn't ramped up their side of the campaign, those calls and letters would mean very little.

11. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Exactly. You really think contacting your Congressmen does anything? Because I don't. It's all about the heavy hitters.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Wasn't it pretty much dead in the water yesterday when Obama said he'd veto it? They didn't have the numbers to overturn it, so it was basically over.

I just think it's weird that I can go to Wikipedia right now and it works fine. I thought the "global blackout" was supposed to last all day.

And, not for anything, but is there anyone who couldn't live without the sites that were supposed to take part in the blackout?

I go to Wikipedia occasionally, but a good ol' Google search usually gets me the information I need and not necessarily from Wiki.

Draft saved Draft deleted