1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wikipedia blackout on January 18

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Sorry, Bob. I wasn't clear. I don't disagree with you. I think the laws are probably overbroad and violate the First Amendment.

I was speaking about people's general posts about piracy and the ethics of it.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Nowadays, pirating music is a bit silly. Too many free, legal options such as Spotify, MOG, and Rdio.

I just don't understand why this is such a big enough issue that the government needs to step in. SOPA won't stop those committed to piracy. I haven't seen The Pirate Bay disappear and it's been out in the open for several years.

I also believe copyright infringement goes far beyond media. It's a problem in the sewing industry with patterns being copied, but I haven't heard of a Sewing Protection Act being pushed by lawmakers.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I remember there was a crackdown several years ago over those who made tissue covers with sports logos.

BTW, has anyone received a copyright infringement notice from their ISP?

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yes. Just a generic form letter warning me they'd received a complaint, but enough to spook me into going cold turkey.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Wikipedia editors question blackout

http://www.npr.org/2012/01/18/145382877/wikipedia-editors-question-sites-24-hour-blackout

8. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

This is what an Internet blackout looks like: http://gizmodo.com/5877122/this-is-what-an-internet-protest-looks-like/gallery/1

(Hurry. The link I attached may be censored soon enough.)

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I thought the blackout would be, um, blacker. That John Denver's full of shit, man.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's what Twitter is for.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Grooveshark isn't exactly blacking out today, but it is presenting a gateway with a plea to write your Congressman.

12. doodah

doodah Guest

Does writing your Congressman actually get anything done?

Draft saved Draft deleted