1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wikipedia blackout on January 18

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How much money is really lost though online piracy? Not as much as people think because a download does not mean a legit sale was lost.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

A download is a lost sale, as far as I can tell. What else would it be?

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Someone who wants to preview something before buying it. I do that with music all the time and sometimes with movies. If I like them, I often end up buying them.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I've downloaded rugby and Auusie Rules games. I'm not paying the cash for a subscription package, so it's not a lost sale.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Just because someone downloads it, doesn't mean that they would have gone out and bought it.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Gotcha. So theft doesn't count against sales.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Actually, I didn't steal anything. I infringed copyright for personal use. I'm sure all of those Canadians using proxy servers to access Hulu are also thieves as well.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Look, I understand the first against online piracy. Hell, I rail against folks (Hi D_B!) who copy and paste entire articles on here, instead of linking to them.

But if these bills become law, then SportsJournalists.com (and every other message board out there) could be shuttered by court order if copyrights are infringed here. According to some Internet gurus, the bill is so poorly worded that one c-and-p job on a message board could be enough to get it blocked.

9. doodah

doodah Guest

What's the likelihood this gets passed?

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Dammit,was just looking up a Parks and Rec episode guide on Wikipedia and it blacked out. What will I do now??

11. doodah

doodah Guest

More websites should be joining the blackout. ESPN and SI and Yahoo and Google should do it as well.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Google's doodle of the day is win.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted