1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wikipedia blackout on January 18

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 17, 2012.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Wikipedia is blacking out all 3+ million of its English language pages tomorrow in protest of PIPA

http://news.yahoo.com/wikipedia-blackout-3-847-673-english-language-pages-190506843.html

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If Wikipedia really wanted to make a statement, it would black out pages in April when college students are finally getting around to writing their term papers.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Wikipedia CEO jokingly tweeted, "Student warning! Do your homework early. Wikipedia protesting bad law on Wednesday!"

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Well what the hell am I gonna do when I have to take a dump? Guess it's a no-poop Wednesday.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Are we sure someone didn't edit the Wikipedia page to make it look like that was what they were doing?

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Random Wikipedia greatness ... the summary of ODB's Got Your Money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Got_Your_Money#Summary

7. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Fuck SOPA.

Supporters of SOPA: RIAA, MPAA, News Corporation, VISA, Mastercard, Pfizer, Comcast, Time Warner, ABC, Nike, Walmart, Dow Chemical, Tiffany, Chanel, Rolex, Monster Cable, Teamsters, Lamar Smith (R-TX), John Conyers (D-MI)

Opponents of SOPA: Google, Yahoo, Wikipedia, craigslist, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, eBay, AOL, Mozilla, Reddit, Tumblr, Etsy, Zynga, EFF, ACLU, Human Rights Watch, Darrell Issa (R-CA), Ron Wyden (D-OR), Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), Ron Paul (R-TX)

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

News Corp and Walmart supporting SOPA is truly the least surprising thing in the history of ever.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Chris Dodd, former Senator (D-Conn.), is now president of Motion Picture Association of America. He called the blackouts an "abuse of power."

http://motherjones.com/mojo/2012/01/dodd-to-internet-you-and-your-blackout-can-drop-dead

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Dodd has become a shill for them. As a Connecticutian (I suppose that's the right denonym), I am ashamed.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well fuck. My parent company supports this shit. I guess I should have seen that coming, with the broadcast arm. :(

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Maybe if people (ahem, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone around here, mind you) wouldn't download pirated TV and movies, this law wouldn't have been so draconian at the outset.

Draft saved Draft deleted