1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wii question (Punch Out) for my son

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 28, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He wants one of our experts to tell him how to not get his ass kicked by the Bald Bull.
    How do you beat the Bald Bull?

2. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Put him in a Nationals jersey.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Not sure if the strategy is the same for the Wii version, since it's probably a new game, but going from memory of the arcade game of the mid-80's:

Bull has a signature punch stance in which he crouches down, does a couple of bunny hops for lack of a better term, then throws an uppercut that will knock you down. Either dodge a split-second before he throws the uppercut, leaving him open for a flurry of punches, or throw a punch right as he's making his third hop. If you time it right, it'll put him down.

But this could be a totally different game, so who knows if that'll still work. I am old.

4. Pretty much any part of any game ever made explained in detail on gamefaqs.com

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/wii/game/954363.html

============================={ 3. Bald Bull [xbb] }===========================

"Achmed." (WHAT?! That's what it sounds like to me! <_< >_>)

Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 298 lbs.

Record: 34-5 (27 KOs)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bald Bull used to be rather intimidating on the NES...lets see what he does on
    the new Punch-out!

Moveset
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

1. Rolling Jabs - Quite simple. Bald Bull will roll his hands around in a
    circle for a couple seconds, then turn red and throw a jab in the direction
    he was rolling his hands. Not hard to avoid, and can't be blocked.

2. Quick Right Uppercut - Needless to say, Bald Bull quickly crouches down to
    your right, turns red, and throws an uppercut. The animation for this is quite
    fast so be ready to dodge. (Preferably to the left)

3. Pumping Fist Hook - Bald Bull pumps his right fist twice before throwing a
    sharp hook. Tell is fairly obvious and the attack does come out quite fast.
    Usually comes with the audio cue "Al ah!"

4. Bull Charge - His signature attack. Bald Bull moves to the back of the ring,
    and gradually superheats his body to OVER 9000 degrees!...no, but his body does
    turn red from excess anger and rage. When he blows steam from his nostrils,
    he'll rush towards you VERY fast. If this hits you, you'll be knocked down
    regardless of your stamina. If you can hit him with a hook right before he
    hits you, he'll go down regardless of his stamina.

5. Taunt - Read Stars section.

Fight Strategy
    ----------------------

The idea for winning this fight is either stopping the Bull Charge constantly,
    or just dodging his attacks and outlasting him until you've either KOed or
    TKOed him. There are multiple rather easy ways to earn stars, which will speed
    up the process significantly once you get used to his pattern.

He tends to use rolling jabs 3 times in a row at the beginning, and lowers the
    consecutive amount by 1 every time he's knocked down.

Obtaining Stars
    =======================

1. Hit him during a taunt when he flashes yellow. He only uses the taunt if
    you get hit by his hook or uppercut multiple times and don't have any stars.

2. Jab him twice after he misses with his rolling jabs, then jab him a third
    time as his face centers itself.

3. Jab him 4 times after he misses his uppercut, then jab him 2 more times as
    his face centers itself.

4. Counterpunch his Pumping Fist Hook with a left hook. This has VERY strict
    timing and is easily one of the most difficult stars to obtain.

Exhibition Challenges
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

1. Hit Bald Bull during his Bull Charge...with a star punch! - Believe it or
    not, this is actually easier to time than a hook. Just use the punch as soon
    as he finishes blowing steam from his nose.

2. TKO or KO Bald Bull in round 1 - Learn to get stars using the method above
    and this challenge is very easy.

3. Find 4 different ways to earn stars - See above. Again.

==============================================================================

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If it's the new version of Punch-Out!!, I have no idea. Haven't played it. If it's the old one on the virtual console...

Bald Bull I
    1. Do the normal dodge-counterpunch routine for a while. He'll roll his fists and then throw a jab, then switch up to a rolling fist-hook thing.
    2. Around the 2:20 or 2:30 mark of the first round, and occasionally thereafter, he'll go for the Bull Charge (where he backs up, hops at you and throws an uppercut that knocks you down if it connects). Throw a left to the body on the third hop and you'll knock him down.
    I've found it helps to count 1-2-3 real fast and then punch on the "3". You can also dodge to the left if you don't feel comfortable. He'll keep charging until one of you connects.

Bald Bull II
    After you beat BB the first time for the Major circuit title, you fight him again later on in the World circuit. The second version is MUCH easier than the first, as long as you know two things:
    1) You can only knock him down with an uppercut. If his energy bar goes all black, he'll regain some health. He does give you ample opportunity to get stars, though.
    2) When he does the Bull Charge, if you dodge the first one he'll only go halfway across the ring for his second attempt. For some reason, it's a lot easier to hit him when he charges from halfway. So dodge the first Bull Charge and knock him down when he comes from short range.

So do the same dodge-counterpunch thing as BB I. Every so often, he'll stand there with his hands moving up and down. Hit him then and you'll get a star for an uppercut. When his energy bar is close enough to the end to knock him down with an uppercut, unload on him.
    Piece of cake.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Moddy, tell the game is as sweet as the old version.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I can't tell you shit.
    My son says: It's pretty awesome.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That one's crushed.

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back and .... GONE!

10. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Well, when Moddy grooves a fastball. ;D

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You never played the original?

Glass Joe weeps.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Ditto. I can't believe I'm so old that I'm fogeying away at a new version of a video game I played when I'm a kid.

Draft saved Draft deleted